Take II

I've made it through the first full week of practices and thought that I'd briefly recap everything. It's hard to believe that I'm about 2 hours away from my bed time - not due to age but due to getting up at 4 am.

We've been running two a day practices with the women and the men splitting time either in the erg room or at the fall rowing facility. The women's team is larger by far so we've been able to do a bit more with them including rowing full novice boats while the men's team is tiny and I've had to mix up the boats for a while.

On the women's side we've got some pretty energetic novice who already are falling in love with the sport. I've already been asked how far novice are allowed to progress their first year; the girls wanted to subtly ask if there would be any way if they could make a varsity boat eligible for NCAAs should we get a bid. Their technique is advancing quickly and we should be able to move into technical rowing this week beyond simply moving the body and hands into position.

The men's boat on the other hand, the novice, hasn't gone out as a full novice team yet. We've had some issues with guys not showing up to practice for one reason or another and for now that's holding them back. We're really hurting on the lack of numbers and the two varsity members who returned this fall - more are supposed to be back in the spring - have had to row in the open seats. This week I'd like to transition to letting the those two row regardless of what the novice are doing. I don't think that they should be held back on their own training simply because the rest of the novice choose not to show.

Sadly our season is quickly coming to a close. We've got the rest of October and then we're done till spring though Ryan and I have a lot of work ahead of us. I've decided to hold off on serious spring plans until I can firm up the numbers for the men's team but have the general idea of what I'd like the women to be doing already.

I've also started putting out some requests to ride in launches and have gotten a reply from my old club in San Francisco. There are a few more clubs that I'd like to spend time with once we get out of the rowing season and into option winter workouts.

Comments

Popular Posts