Destination: Salem
I know that I'm a bit behind with my posts. It's been a very busy and up and down summer - not one that I'm anxious to repeat - but it's in the past.
Today I was hired on as an Assistant Rowing Coach for Willamette University. That's right, heading back to the alma mater. I'm thrilled to be heading back to the program where everything started for me and looking forward to putting some miles in on that stretch of the Willamette.
A lot has changed since I last sat in a coxswain seat steering up the home course heading for home. The river has shifted and where we used to row is now dry land and vice versa. In fact the water shifted so much that the embankment that protected the boat house is now 90% gone meaning the river is now actually washing away the pilings that support the boat house. In the fall we'll be rowing out of the Salem Yacht Club before returning to the boat house in the spring. Most former WU Crewers will remember that stretch where the stolen car was half sunk, and the old restaurant on the hill looked out over our practices.
I'm most excited to be working with the new Athletic Director. He's laid down a rather ambitious but workable plan and has high hopes that the crew team can turn it's own corner and continue to build upon the competitive edge that was established by the previous head coach. I for one am looking forward to the challenge of helping restore the luster to the team and getting it back up to the top where it was.
That being said, the summer has ended on a high note and I'm ready to get down to Salem and get busy.
Today I was hired on as an Assistant Rowing Coach for Willamette University. That's right, heading back to the alma mater. I'm thrilled to be heading back to the program where everything started for me and looking forward to putting some miles in on that stretch of the Willamette.
A lot has changed since I last sat in a coxswain seat steering up the home course heading for home. The river has shifted and where we used to row is now dry land and vice versa. In fact the water shifted so much that the embankment that protected the boat house is now 90% gone meaning the river is now actually washing away the pilings that support the boat house. In the fall we'll be rowing out of the Salem Yacht Club before returning to the boat house in the spring. Most former WU Crewers will remember that stretch where the stolen car was half sunk, and the old restaurant on the hill looked out over our practices.
I'm most excited to be working with the new Athletic Director. He's laid down a rather ambitious but workable plan and has high hopes that the crew team can turn it's own corner and continue to build upon the competitive edge that was established by the previous head coach. I for one am looking forward to the challenge of helping restore the luster to the team and getting it back up to the top where it was.
That being said, the summer has ended on a high note and I'm ready to get down to Salem and get busy.
Comments