It really is a small world...
A harsh reality of this day and age is that technology is making our world smaller. Where not too long ago you had to wait till 9 pm or the weekend to make a phone call on your cell phone to avoid outrageous overage pricing, today you can Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Skype, text, smartphone e-mail, etc. the same friend in half the time and for pennies on those old dollars.
What is going to follow will be a rather disjointed post regarding social networking as a coach and the pitfalls of not having solid ground rules.
When it comes to Facebook I have two standard rules and a third that adapts to the work situation I find myself in. More on that in a moment.
1. The request must be from someone who is at least 18 years old.
2. The request must be from someone who is NOT currently involved at the program I'm at.
3. The request must be from someone who has graduated high school.
Rule 3 stands right now because my primary responsibilities at my current program revolve around working with juniors - high school aged athletes. This rules will adapt and change as I move to a different program but for now it remains as pat. The other two rules are hard and fast.
My opinion is that coaches and athletes can have a friendly relationship but cannot be friends. This might change once the athlete has moved on to a different team or different level - the same goes for the coach - but while they are at the same program, it is a big no.
As a coach I carry the power of decision and my decisions need to be in some way, absolute and without question. I do this by keeping them transparent for both the athlete and parents and by being consistent with the decisions but by also limiting the type of interaction with all athletes. I will joke around with them and ask about their day - especially when they seem sullen or out of sorts - but personal insight such as dating, my relationships, etc. stay out of the picture. I've been working on limiting the stories that I tell them to the failures of my athletic career - and there are many - as a way to show them first hand experience at not preparing or taking things serious though I have tried to limit this as well.
I have seen some coaches be "buddy buddy" with their charges; their most common answer to me when I've pointed this out and the pitfalls that come with it has been, "well but that's never happened with me." And of course it inevitably has happened and it's left the coach in a very awkward and tenuous spot.
Coaches should be there to coach. We are supposed to teach athletes how to play a sport. In some cases we're supposed to teach athletes how to become elite in said sport. Regardless of what the aim of our coaching is - be it for new to the sport athletes or seasoned athletes - I believe that we have to remember our role as a coach and the responsibilities that go along with that role. Linking up with your athletes on Facebook or another network undermines that role and position because you're bringing them to your level or lowering yourself to theirs. They look to you for guidance and leadership and you should be there to help mold them into better individuals not just athletes. I don't believe you can accomplish this when you're taking part in discussions or gossip or friend requesting them.
What is going to follow will be a rather disjointed post regarding social networking as a coach and the pitfalls of not having solid ground rules.
When it comes to Facebook I have two standard rules and a third that adapts to the work situation I find myself in. More on that in a moment.
1. The request must be from someone who is at least 18 years old.
2. The request must be from someone who is NOT currently involved at the program I'm at.
3. The request must be from someone who has graduated high school.
Rule 3 stands right now because my primary responsibilities at my current program revolve around working with juniors - high school aged athletes. This rules will adapt and change as I move to a different program but for now it remains as pat. The other two rules are hard and fast.
My opinion is that coaches and athletes can have a friendly relationship but cannot be friends. This might change once the athlete has moved on to a different team or different level - the same goes for the coach - but while they are at the same program, it is a big no.
As a coach I carry the power of decision and my decisions need to be in some way, absolute and without question. I do this by keeping them transparent for both the athlete and parents and by being consistent with the decisions but by also limiting the type of interaction with all athletes. I will joke around with them and ask about their day - especially when they seem sullen or out of sorts - but personal insight such as dating, my relationships, etc. stay out of the picture. I've been working on limiting the stories that I tell them to the failures of my athletic career - and there are many - as a way to show them first hand experience at not preparing or taking things serious though I have tried to limit this as well.
I have seen some coaches be "buddy buddy" with their charges; their most common answer to me when I've pointed this out and the pitfalls that come with it has been, "well but that's never happened with me." And of course it inevitably has happened and it's left the coach in a very awkward and tenuous spot.
Coaches should be there to coach. We are supposed to teach athletes how to play a sport. In some cases we're supposed to teach athletes how to become elite in said sport. Regardless of what the aim of our coaching is - be it for new to the sport athletes or seasoned athletes - I believe that we have to remember our role as a coach and the responsibilities that go along with that role. Linking up with your athletes on Facebook or another network undermines that role and position because you're bringing them to your level or lowering yourself to theirs. They look to you for guidance and leadership and you should be there to help mold them into better individuals not just athletes. I don't believe you can accomplish this when you're taking part in discussions or gossip or friend requesting them.

Comments