Making progress

I've made some progress since the last update and while I'm working on a few things, I thought I'd take a moment to get everyone up to speed.

Launches:

The launches are getting done. I went to pick them up today only to discover that they are closed on Mondays. Personally I never felt that this mode of operation made much sense. Monday is a work day, you should be working as most everyone else is. Being contrary to that simply and needlessly disrupts the flow of progress. That's my little soap box. Part of this is inspired by the fact that I did not bother to call over in the first place but still.

New launch:

Finding this has proved difficult. Our requirements aren't terribly detailed but they are exacting meaning it can't be close, really close, it has to be what we need or else it does not work. We are quickly finding that there's more out there that doesn't work rather than what does. And of course everyone else has an opinion on what should and shouldn't work thus making this a little more difficult. Everyone is worried about buying a lemon - something the club simply cannot afford to do - but I think we're a little too concerned at this point and many good but not good enough boats are slipping by.

Classes:

Our second Learn to Row class started this morning and we have 12 enthusiastic juniors ready for the water. Everyone says they're ready until you actually put them in the boat and then shove them off the dock. Then suddenly everyone is typically less ready. That's how it goes. I'm fairly certain the first time I was in an eight I wasn't quite as ready as the erg made me.

We did some erg races today - I typically dislike doing this because I believe it reinforces the idea that the first thing novice must learn is power rather than technique but it is not my class to teach - and taught them the basics of the boats and handling the boats.

That catches us up to the present. A few other things have happened recently but I am not ready to address them quite yet. Soon. Until then.

Comments

Popular Posts