Kick the tires and light the fires
It's hard to believe but we're quickly pulling out of July and rolling into August. It seems that summer started just a few days ago and given the weather we've been experiencing, it's hard to believe that summer has started at all. I think Oregon owes us all a nice and warm September - October to make up for a drizzly and cool June and July.
That being said the fall season is rapidly approaching and I've found myself standing in several office supply warehouses looking over notebooks, new pens - the goal is to keep better hold of them this year rather than lending them out - and binders. The price of supplies has definitely increased and I was stunned to find that three notebooks, a binder and some pens set me back nearly $35 the other day. It's making my coaching tools look like a bargain.
Speaking of coaching tools I still haven't finished my new height and rigging stick. It's still sitting in the garage ready to go but I've been so busy that it's been easy to put off. I guess the need hasn't kicked in quite yet though that's hardly a reasonable excuse. I should get it done so I can test it so I'm not trying to modify it when I'm in season.
While I still haven't finished my review of last season, I have started going back over the training plan and have been slowly modifying it for this year. In general I really liked last years plan and I feel for various reasons - see previous posts - that this plan is really solid, it just requires better commitment. However that doesn't mean that some improvement hasn't been warranted so I've been re-balancing the focus a bit. Last year I felt as though we got too technical even for novice and that the focus contributed to a lack of overall execution when it came to speed and power. This year I've borrowed a page from my year at UPS and combined it with last fall's technical plan. Hopefully this will produce better results though we'll have to wait and see.
That being said the fall season is rapidly approaching and I've found myself standing in several office supply warehouses looking over notebooks, new pens - the goal is to keep better hold of them this year rather than lending them out - and binders. The price of supplies has definitely increased and I was stunned to find that three notebooks, a binder and some pens set me back nearly $35 the other day. It's making my coaching tools look like a bargain.
Speaking of coaching tools I still haven't finished my new height and rigging stick. It's still sitting in the garage ready to go but I've been so busy that it's been easy to put off. I guess the need hasn't kicked in quite yet though that's hardly a reasonable excuse. I should get it done so I can test it so I'm not trying to modify it when I'm in season.
While I still haven't finished my review of last season, I have started going back over the training plan and have been slowly modifying it for this year. In general I really liked last years plan and I feel for various reasons - see previous posts - that this plan is really solid, it just requires better commitment. However that doesn't mean that some improvement hasn't been warranted so I've been re-balancing the focus a bit. Last year I felt as though we got too technical even for novice and that the focus contributed to a lack of overall execution when it came to speed and power. This year I've borrowed a page from my year at UPS and combined it with last fall's technical plan. Hopefully this will produce better results though we'll have to wait and see.

Comments