Are we having fun yet?
The weather in Oregon has finally taken a turn for the better but I'm keeping my fingers crossed just in case. It was just last Thursday that it was cloudy and raining at the boat house during summer camp and this really is just the first sustained amount of good direct sunlight so I don't want to jinx it.
None-the-less the sun has gotten me energized which is good because I was dragging there for a while - the solar batteries needed a charge - and I've been swinging away at projects for the boat house.
Project 1: Rigging tool. I've improved upon an existing rigging tool design and am very close to finishing my version of it. I'm excited about the prospects of being able to use this. Next phase: testing.
Project 2: Repair all launches. This morning after coaching the returners I hauled two of our broken launches over to the repair shop across the river. They should be kicked back to us by Friday. While this leaves us with only two working launches and thus a real pinch when it comes to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays which are our busiest days at the boat house, they need to be repaired. This leaves only one launch in need of some TLC but we can afford to wait a little longer on this one.
Project 3: A new launch. Tomorrow or Thursday I should have the line on a new to us launch to replace the old, underpowered launch that we've all avoided using this season. 15 HP and flat bottomed - not exactly the best boat for coaching on a river and while the Willamette isn't always swift, the flat bottom means the current even if it's small, can push you all over the place. Not fun when you're attempting to correct something by demonstration. And the engine dies constantly, another issue you don't need to be dealing with.
Project 4: Updating the resume specifically the lousy cover letter. My cover letter is very generic and it's time for it to go. I have written many cover letters but I usually save those for specific jobs that outlines expectations. My generic cover letter looks very high school and has been in desperate need of some brushing up. This has been my evening project since I can't find the motivation right now to put my season notes into something other than notation form. Before August I swear!
That being said, I've been reading through a couple other coaching blogs. One of my favorites fell by the wayside this season but got recently updated a few days ago so I'm looking forward to new entries.
As much as I enjoy summer, summer does mean the end of serious rowing for most of us and while planning for next season is fun, I can't wait till the end of August when we can shake the dust off the oars and boats and begin getting ready for another fall season.
None-the-less the sun has gotten me energized which is good because I was dragging there for a while - the solar batteries needed a charge - and I've been swinging away at projects for the boat house.
Project 1: Rigging tool. I've improved upon an existing rigging tool design and am very close to finishing my version of it. I'm excited about the prospects of being able to use this. Next phase: testing.
Project 2: Repair all launches. This morning after coaching the returners I hauled two of our broken launches over to the repair shop across the river. They should be kicked back to us by Friday. While this leaves us with only two working launches and thus a real pinch when it comes to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays which are our busiest days at the boat house, they need to be repaired. This leaves only one launch in need of some TLC but we can afford to wait a little longer on this one.
Project 3: A new launch. Tomorrow or Thursday I should have the line on a new to us launch to replace the old, underpowered launch that we've all avoided using this season. 15 HP and flat bottomed - not exactly the best boat for coaching on a river and while the Willamette isn't always swift, the flat bottom means the current even if it's small, can push you all over the place. Not fun when you're attempting to correct something by demonstration. And the engine dies constantly, another issue you don't need to be dealing with.
Project 4: Updating the resume specifically the lousy cover letter. My cover letter is very generic and it's time for it to go. I have written many cover letters but I usually save those for specific jobs that outlines expectations. My generic cover letter looks very high school and has been in desperate need of some brushing up. This has been my evening project since I can't find the motivation right now to put my season notes into something other than notation form. Before August I swear!
That being said, I've been reading through a couple other coaching blogs. One of my favorites fell by the wayside this season but got recently updated a few days ago so I'm looking forward to new entries.
As much as I enjoy summer, summer does mean the end of serious rowing for most of us and while planning for next season is fun, I can't wait till the end of August when we can shake the dust off the oars and boats and begin getting ready for another fall season.

Comments