Regionals recap

A long and surprisingly successful season came to an end this weekend at Northwest Regionals. I was rather surprised that the weather and Vancouver Lake cooperated with us for all three days. While Sunday was somewhat rainy the water on the lake stayed very calm and we didn't encounter much wind. Typically Vancouver Lake is a crap shoot at best and the slightest shift in wind or weather can turn the lake surface into the heavy duty cycle in a washing machine.

The only down note this weekend was that the Columbia River had flooded thereby flooding the lake. Our usual beach was under 3 feet of water making for extra muddy conditions. I fell twice while attempting to run between boats launching and it wasn't a lot of fun feeling dead worms stuck between your toes.

Friday

Friday was the first day of the regatta. I had three boats racing that day, two in straight finals and the third in a heat for the Grand Finals.

The two second novice fours raced in straight finals and had good results. The B boat finished 4th in their final while the A boat posted a 25 second win in their final and the second fastest time out of all three finals. Because they took first they earned gold medals but because they were the second fastest boat, they didn't bring home the trophy. I'll have to figure out how that works out on the resume later.

The disappointing part was that our B boat raced all A boats while my A boat ended up racing mostly B boats. I believe that they should have been switched and while that would have cost us the gold with the A boat, it would have given the B a more fair shake. I'm still not thrilled by the seeding that this region tends to do because it really does not make a lot of sense but there is very little I can do about it. Play with the cards you're dealt.

The first novice four raced in a 5 boat heat with three to qualify for the Grand Finals. Despite using a boat that really didn't fit them - I've learned my lesson about borrowing boats - they took second and advanced to the finals on Saturday.

Saturday

Saturday was a mixed results day. We opened Saturday with the Grand Final for the novice four. They raced hard and fast and along with Everett and Rose City, broke away from the chasing pack and fought for the gold. Everett has been head and shoulders above everyone this season and they had gold sewed up coming into the last 500 but we battled hard with Rose City before coming up short in the sprint bringing home bronze. I was very happy with the result given how much that boat had changed due to illness on the team and us having to switch rowers. A few more weeks and maybe we're a little more comfortable with each other but I am proud of how they did.

A few hours later we launched the novice eight. Unfortunately we drew Everett, Rose City, and Pocock, teams that I consider to be among the fastest in the region and the boat came up short of making the Grand Finals. It was somewhat of a disappointing end to the season but I let the boys know how proud I was of them, that we were a lightweight boat rowing against boats that were 30 pounds heavier than us on average and that if we had been in the second heat we would have easily qualified. A loss tells you more about yourself than a win does and it was good to see them down a bit. The passion for the sport is there and they will be chomping at the bit to prove they belong next year and that is what I wanted to see from them more than anything.

Sunday

Sunday was a very easy day for us and we spent it cheering on the rest of the team and helping out. Three of the guys got to race in one of the high school eights to end the regatta and everyone was happy.

Season recap

I am really surprised with how this season played out. At the beginning of the season and even through winter I was very concerned about the competitive drive out of the guys. There was a lack of effort and passion out of 90% of the squad and there were days that I was certain we were in for a long and low spring season. Then for some reason the second the shells hit the water it was like things clicked. Suddenly the guys were pushing hard, encouraging each other and demonstrating a 180 degree attitude adjustment. Our boats picked up speed, technique improved and slacking off wasn't tolerated.

Going into the racing part of the season I decided to hold off on showing my best lineups so I could test them and tweak them. I told the guys that we'd take our lumps during the season but that it was part of my plan and that if we could continue to learn about the boats and teams we would be racing and show some serious drive and depth that it would pay off. I kept expectations reasonable and somewhat low and put out mixed lineups during our first two regattas. However instead of racing like mixed lineups the boys raced as though their boats were on fire and by the time we were prepping for Brentwood, out of a total of 7 boats, 6 had earned medals at the Green Lake Invite and Covered Bridge and everyone had brought home hardware.

This has definitely been one of the more confounding seasons. I have put a year's worth of thought and planning into how this season would run out. At times it looked as though it was a waste of time and at times we looked like world beaters. Some days we couldn't beat a 2x and other days we could lay down sub 3:20 1ks against the current with a 155 lb coxswain. We had equipment issues, breakage and attitude problems but the guys also got along well and petty differences were set aside when it came to competition and each guys pulled for the next.

I'm taking a few days off and heading to San Francisco next week for some R and R before digging back into the season and preparing for the next.

Comments

Popular Posts