Cross training

One subject comes up every single year is this idea of cross training. How do you cross train for a sport that requires the entire body when so many sports require only part?

I am still working on and seeking advice on how to answer that question but this is what I've come up with thus far to try and give some guidelines.

1. Your cross training sport needs to be full body like swimming or cross country skiing. I got that from the book, "Rowing Faster" by Volker Nolte.

2. Running isn't the best cross training exercise because of the repetitive motion shared by rowing; also from Volker Nolte. I'm mixed on this because I think in general running is good and most of the games that I play to break up days of rowing involve running. However, last year after talking with the former varsity women's coach, I changed my running plans to mix in running backward to simulate the push off during the drive and to evenly build muscles.

3. I've always said that bicycling is good provided that you go for a long period of time.

4. If your cross training option isn't full body - a lot of our kids play winter sports like basketball - then supplement it with supervised weight training.

Again I am no expert so I am going with suggestions that have been passed along by those who have been involved in the sport longer and have a better idea of what works and what doesn't as well as going through books such as "Rowing Faster" for training ideas.

Cross training, in my mind, doesn't have to be simply about changing how to get fitness. Some times you need a mental cross training day. Tuesday as we prepared to go for a 10 row, I watched my guys putting in maximum effort during our tech piece but could see fatigued on their faces. They were rowing together, they were pushing and trying but they looked tired and in definite need of a break.

Yesterday we did my version of cross training where we stay on land and play games that are designed to still get fitness in. We started off the day with a 2 mile jog and then met at a local park and set up a game of soccer/rugby that I came up with. The game is similar to both soccer and rugby where you can throw the ball or kick it. I like this game because I let the guys divide up the teams evenly and then go at it. My rules for the game are simple:

1. No tackling. Two hand touch and then you have to pass the ball.
2. No pushing. We don't need an injury.
3. Everyone must be involved and running with the play. This is a very easy rule to enforce because everyone really gets into the game. The "break" period is when they rotate through the goalie position so they can get some water.

Soccer, this rugby game among others are my favorite ways to break up a training period because the guys have a lot of fun and they're active for an hour and a half without really knowing that they're active. In fact it's not uncommon for our practice to end and have them standing with hands upon their knees breathing heavily. It's a good day off, they have a lot of fun and can relax mentally but we're still getting work done.

Comments

Popular Posts