Race week
It's the week of our first race. Honestly we could use more time; about two more weeks worth.
All last week we worked technique. The first part of the week was dedicated to working the outside hand with a lot of outside hand only rowing. The guys worked on getting their hands up at the catch so that we weren't rowing the blades in and then holding the finish so that we didn't wash. The second part of the week was dedicated to feathering. Because of the water conditions - current speed - we weren't able to break down the feathering as much as I would have liked so it's something that we'll focus on again next week when we've got more time.
Friday we put it all together to see what it looked like and while it could have been more smooth I was actually impressed that my crash course "this is how you row" training worked. For the most part the boat has a good set especially as it builds speed and everyone seems to be getting in together. I would like to see more focus on getting the catches in at the same time and more importantly, less rowing it in but for a weeks worth of work it'll do.
Here's how the rest of our week looks:
Monday - Breaking down our start. We're going to do this slowly and continue to work on it. Right now it's just enough to get us through the weekend. I'm also testing out the lineup for the 8.
Tuesday - More start work. More work in the 8.
Wednesday - Reviewing starts. We'll try and get into 4's but I'm less concerned about this than I am making sure that we're moving well off the line.
In all honesty we're not expecting much this weekend simply due to the time crunch and not being able to get up to our actual racing speed. We're keeping expectations realistic.
Thursday - De-rigging and packing for the trip.
Friday - Traveling to Seattle.
All last week we worked technique. The first part of the week was dedicated to working the outside hand with a lot of outside hand only rowing. The guys worked on getting their hands up at the catch so that we weren't rowing the blades in and then holding the finish so that we didn't wash. The second part of the week was dedicated to feathering. Because of the water conditions - current speed - we weren't able to break down the feathering as much as I would have liked so it's something that we'll focus on again next week when we've got more time.
Friday we put it all together to see what it looked like and while it could have been more smooth I was actually impressed that my crash course "this is how you row" training worked. For the most part the boat has a good set especially as it builds speed and everyone seems to be getting in together. I would like to see more focus on getting the catches in at the same time and more importantly, less rowing it in but for a weeks worth of work it'll do.
Here's how the rest of our week looks:
Monday - Breaking down our start. We're going to do this slowly and continue to work on it. Right now it's just enough to get us through the weekend. I'm also testing out the lineup for the 8.
Tuesday - More start work. More work in the 8.
Wednesday - Reviewing starts. We'll try and get into 4's but I'm less concerned about this than I am making sure that we're moving well off the line.
In all honesty we're not expecting much this weekend simply due to the time crunch and not being able to get up to our actual racing speed. We're keeping expectations realistic.
Thursday - De-rigging and packing for the trip.
Friday - Traveling to Seattle.

Comments