Officially 2011

Friday we welcomed spring season in and made it official with our first recorded 2k test. Overall the results weren't too bad. I can see the areas that we're going to need to improve upon and the guys can see why working hard on the 3x20 days is so important. Many of them are okay with their first test times but some were surprised with how hard they had to push to try and hold their splits. I'm expecting some renewed focus tomorrow for the 3x20 day.

I picked up a new formula - the efficiency formula - that I've been pining over but sans the instructions so I collected the data needed and sent off a few e-mails to those who might know what exactly I'm looking for with the results. I crunched the numbers and have a decent idea of what is good efficiency vs. bad but I'm not 100% sure and would rather know before I start using the data to put together boat lineups.

Using the formula I do know about - VO2 Max - I've see some good results for the possibility of running a lightweight four though very few regattas have novice lightweight boats. If only this were college. I know that I've commented on my distaste for lightweight rowing but the four athletes fit well within my criteria for making the grade. All of them weigh well under the 155 pound limit and therefore would not need to cut weight to be eligible. However, since there aren't lightweight novice boats - usually - at the junior level, I'm thinking that they might make an excellent 2nd novice 4. We will see how the rest of the season plays out.

Comments

Popular Posts