Workload

Greetings loyal readers.

A few days to go till Christmas.  Good riddance.  I am not a fan of the holidays.  I could go without November through January.  However, I do enjoy cooking for the holidays so I am looking forward to that. 

On my way into work today, a sports radio host was talking about the idea of work ethic specific to athletes and sports.  What separates talented individuals from other talented individuals.  He asked two specific questions.

1.  Are you born with the ability to work hard/are you born with a work ethic?
2.  Can you learn or develop a work ethic?

I thought that I would offer my two cents on the matter.

I believe that everyone is born with the ability to work.  Work may be defined by many different opinions and pathways, but for sake of sport, let's focus on work relating toward becoming an athlete. 

Before we go down that particular pathway, let us make a few assumptions to narrow the field. 

First, let us assume that the individuals in question are all highly capable of reaching the level the host was discussing.  This would mean the athletes in question are potential Division One athletes capable of earning a scholarship to a highly rated program - the type of sport does not matter in this case.

Second, let us assume that the work ethic demanded goes beyond the athletic environment, but plays into whether or not the athlete in question can meet that demand.  This means that we take a holistic approach where everything required in order to be recruited - grades, personal conduct, etc. - are also taken into account.

Finally, let us assume that this individual is capable of reaching the pinnacle of their individual sport.  They can in other words, go pro.

With those three assumptions, let's address my opinions on both of the questions posed by the host.

Are you born with a sense of work/work ethic?
In my opinion, everyone is born with the capability to work.  I don't believe that the ability to perform work is something that is lacking and is a trait that is inherited or passed along.  A fairly short opinion, but that is what I believe.  Everyone is capable of working.

Can you be taught/learn/develop a work ethic?
This is where I believe you start to see the divergent paths with talented individuals.  I firmly believe that the work ethic you have is driven by your environment, both positively, and negatively.  Those around you who work, and those that work and dedication can lead you to where you'd like to ultimate end up can assist with that development.  Likewise, being surrounded by those who do not possess that level of dedication can drive you to work hard in order to better your life and surroundings.  I do not believe you need to be in a total environment of work or non work in order to develop or not develop.  All it takes is a single individual being that example. 

I believe that this goes into how you are raised.  There are countless stories of athletes who overcome a myriad of setbacks or obstacles to reach their ultimate dream/goal.  Single parents, no parents, bad neighborhoods, bad siblings, poverty, etc.  Conversely, there are athletes out there who've never struggled in their life, gifted with what we refer to as the "silver spoon," who do not develop.  They have every reason to succeed and go far just as the other has every reason not to, and yet they do not turn out.

I do believe that with individuals who ultimate reach the level they strive for - remember, we are assuming that all individuals in this particular case are capable of doing so - have an innate sense of who they are and who they would like to be.  They choose to emulate others who have achieved what they wish, and strive to be like the.  Sometimes we call that competitiveness - something that we believe or do not believe can be taught - sometimes we call that natural talent or ability, sometimes we simply refer to it as "drive."  Whatever it is, that inner fire, that internal motivation to become more than someone else of equal stature and ability tends to be what separates those who are good from those who are great. 

I also believe that work ethic can be developed later on in a career.  An individual may begin with low drive and effort and have a wakeup call and become what they are fully capable of.  The Steelers vs. Bills game had several examples of this including a player who was overweight and out of shape who rededicated himself and has become a solid starter for the Steelers - I forget the name. 

The same can happen with individuals who reach what they believe is the pinnacle and then lose the drive to maintain or grow.  They usually bounce around and then ultimate bounce out and become the talking points for analysts of "What could have been." 

Several years ago, I wrote that team culture is something organic.  You're either developing and maintaining it or you're allowing it to die.  It isn't something that is permanent once it's set.  I believe that work ethic is the same.  You can develop it, you and learn it, and you are capable of great things.  But without that continued focus and growth mindset, work ethic can disappear. 

Ultimately I believe that it is up to the individual to decide where they will go, how far they will go, and how much they are willing to invest in order to realize that dream. 

Comments

Popular Posts