Vlog
It's difficult to believe that I began this coaching blog 10 years ago. It's the second online blog that I've kept, though the previous blog was a personal one rather than one devoted to my career.
The blog certainly began slowly enough, and in fact what you've been reading and following isn't the first or second attempt. Consider this coaching blog version 4.5.
And now the time has come to wonder if it's time to transition into a new format.
I love writing. It's a hobby of mine and is a passion I considered pursuing for a while before deciding that one low wage venture - coaching - was enough for one lifetime.
This previous year I moved onto keeping a journal on my laptop given the limited internet access and certainly nothing remotely secure. But after some time the blog entries became too lengthy, or become difficult to maintain while attempting to make life happen - usually trying to find time to prep dinner, and also relax.
I'd never kept a video log before but I decided that if the journal was going to happen, it had to be the next step. The most difficult part of vlogging? I don't like watching myself on video yet without it, the purpose seemed defeated.
I've considered uploading my blog to this site. That was the original purpose. However, the video recording offered me something that this site doesn't - or that I won't allow - and the vlog became a way to vent and take the edge off of decisions that I didn't necessarily agree with, or opinions that I wanted to share that weren't thought out and needed some development.
I'm certainly old enough to recognize that you aren't "safe" sitting behind a computer screen which is why this blog currently offers my opinions on happens, or articles, but with a decidedly restrained or toned down voice. I believe this is a good thing. I can't recall the exact quote, but growing up my parents would tell me that those who lose their temper in an argument lose. They also said that cursing doesn't make your argument more valid so improve your points. Other parental advice that comes in handy.
I have no plans on holding back on my opinions and offer my own ideas or views, but I do not want this blog to become something unprofessional or a place for verbal vomit.
So what does that mean for this blog? Will I begin to vlog rather than write? Perhaps there will be some changes introducing that medium, but overall I believe this blog is accomplishing what I'd like it to. I've looked at updating the format a bit. My friends Chris and Sonja have two excellent blogs that I can't hope to emulate, but perhaps updating the interface a bit would be a step in the right direction.
Housekeeping done, coaching applications are out. I have one offer in the wings that I can wait to decide on. I've also begun looking at jobs that are athletics related but are not necessarily coaching related.
Like the blog, changes are probably coming. We shall see.
The blog certainly began slowly enough, and in fact what you've been reading and following isn't the first or second attempt. Consider this coaching blog version 4.5.
And now the time has come to wonder if it's time to transition into a new format.
I love writing. It's a hobby of mine and is a passion I considered pursuing for a while before deciding that one low wage venture - coaching - was enough for one lifetime.
This previous year I moved onto keeping a journal on my laptop given the limited internet access and certainly nothing remotely secure. But after some time the blog entries became too lengthy, or become difficult to maintain while attempting to make life happen - usually trying to find time to prep dinner, and also relax.
I'd never kept a video log before but I decided that if the journal was going to happen, it had to be the next step. The most difficult part of vlogging? I don't like watching myself on video yet without it, the purpose seemed defeated.
I've considered uploading my blog to this site. That was the original purpose. However, the video recording offered me something that this site doesn't - or that I won't allow - and the vlog became a way to vent and take the edge off of decisions that I didn't necessarily agree with, or opinions that I wanted to share that weren't thought out and needed some development.
I'm certainly old enough to recognize that you aren't "safe" sitting behind a computer screen which is why this blog currently offers my opinions on happens, or articles, but with a decidedly restrained or toned down voice. I believe this is a good thing. I can't recall the exact quote, but growing up my parents would tell me that those who lose their temper in an argument lose. They also said that cursing doesn't make your argument more valid so improve your points. Other parental advice that comes in handy.
I have no plans on holding back on my opinions and offer my own ideas or views, but I do not want this blog to become something unprofessional or a place for verbal vomit.
So what does that mean for this blog? Will I begin to vlog rather than write? Perhaps there will be some changes introducing that medium, but overall I believe this blog is accomplishing what I'd like it to. I've looked at updating the format a bit. My friends Chris and Sonja have two excellent blogs that I can't hope to emulate, but perhaps updating the interface a bit would be a step in the right direction.
Housekeeping done, coaching applications are out. I have one offer in the wings that I can wait to decide on. I've also begun looking at jobs that are athletics related but are not necessarily coaching related.
Like the blog, changes are probably coming. We shall see.

Comments