Technical changes

I've spent the last six months downsizing in an effort to streamline what I own.  Clothing, coaching items that I've not used in months/years, and other things are going to Goodwill or being gifted to friends who could use them.

Something that I've become better at but am still working on is eliminating outdated or less useful pieces of technology. 

Since I began my career in 2004, I've gone through:

  • 5 laptops (2 HPs, 1 Sony, 1 MacBook, 1 Acer)
  • 1 desktop (Customer built)
  • 1 iPod
  • 1 iPod touch
  • 1 iPad mini

Aside from the Sony and HP that devoured themselves - the harsh lesson of never purchasing Sony, and of backing up your data - all items have served their purpose and been passed on. 

It occurred to me today as I was brushing up and updating my blog how quickly technology and our demands have changed. 

A perfect example of this is sitting in front of me:  My iPhone 8 and a Samsung Smart Camcorder I purchased in 2012. 

The point of the camera was so that I could take video of a practice session and immediately transfer it to my laptop so the athletes could watch it and we could break down technique.  I was excited about this particular camera because it had upgradable memory slots, and it came with two HDMI cables one of which had a USB 2.0 end so we could set up shop at the boathouse or in the erg facility.  Of course the drawback was that I had to purchase editing software if I wanted to make any notations, and that I'd need to convert the files so that it could play on both Mac and PC, but at the time it was well worth the investment. 

And now I have a smartphone with the Coach's Eye app that allows me to do the exact same thing only in real time - show the athletes on the phone.  And because Coach's Eye has quick editing tools, and slow motion, I can record the video in the app and then breakdown the clips as the athletes are stretching or finishing at workout.  I can record several clips, show the changes that I'd like the athlete to work on, and send them on their way in 1/10th the time of the hand held camera.  And with airdrop, I'm able to send the video to athletes who have iPhones or simply post the video to YouTube for everyone to access.

When I was young I would ask my grandparents what it was like watching cars go from a luxury to a standard reality, see TV and the computer come of age, and have phones with more technology than we used to put a man on the moon. 

I currently feel as though I'm watching this happen myself as phones have replaced video cameras, and laptops are giving way to tablets.  Technology and its inexorable march forward is amazing. 

Comments

Popular Posts