Yours vs. ours

A great article on ESPN today.

I respect the hell out of Urban Meyer, and what he's accomplished as a head coach.  From Bowling Green to Ohio State, the man has proven time and again that he is one of the best coaches currently, and for all time.

I don't necessarily agree with the tone that he's using here, but I like the message he's conveying.

I worked with a phenomenal coach a few years back who told me to never talk about a lengthy plan - time - in front of the athletes.

Why?

The plan, the three year, four year, five year plan, doesn't apply to the athletes you have in front of you.  Talking about winning a championship, or getting to the postseason in three years means that many of the athletes in front of you will be long gone.  He asked what message I was sending to those athletes if I talked about winning further down the road.

He was not talking about being unrealistic, but he cautioned about overselling the future and sacrificing the here and now.

It's a great message.  Yes, in reality the current athletes will not be around when things are starting to roll.  It's the nature of the beast, and the reality of rebuilding, or rebranding a program.  Those athletes currently on the team are the plank owners.  They are the foundation upon which future success will be built.  They will be part of the legacy, but likely not part of the championships.

That's a difficult thing to swallow, knowing that more than likely, you will read about the wins rather than participate.  So the thing to do is to make sure that they feel as included as the future generations will be.  Make sure that you focus on the here and now, and those you have in front of you as much as you think about down the road.  You can do a lot with the athletes you currently have.  Don't lose sight of that.

Comments

Popular Posts