Development

I’ve posted about this before – fairly certain – and most likely I will post about it again.

Let’s start out by saying that I have zero football coaching experience, only rowing coaching experience, and those being different sports, I expect there to be some shading into my opinion vs. what someone who is experienced in coaching football might think.

I would also say that I’m not a GM, or owner, or head coach of a professional team – obviously – so what I think comes more from my own coaching standpoint, as well as an eye on history.

So, the Chicago Bears are stumbling again, and an ESPN writer posted an article saying that the Bears now need to start their 2nd pick QB.  This after much was made of the Bears “reaching” for him, and how much they gave up to move up one spot.  This after much was made of the Bears riding out their current QB, and giving their drafted QB, someone who spent exactly one season as a starter in college, a chance to blossom, and develop. 

And of course, two games in, and an 0-2 record, it’s time to panic.

It’s easy for the writers.  After all, they only write.  They have zero accountability in the decisions made by GMs, and coaches, and owners, and only serve as, “I told you so” even though their own record of what they said should happen, and how quickly they change their minds would indicate that it would be best for them to simply say nothing.

Now, history is something we should learn from, but it doesn’t necessarily dictate how the present or future will turn out.  However, I do think it’s a solid indicator.  The last QB that I can recall being drafted after a single season as a starter in college was Mark Sanchez.  And that didn’t turn out well for anyone.  And while the fans, and some writers point to Dak Prescott and how he blossomed last year, I would argue that for every Prescott, and Tom Brady – I think he was a rookie when he took over for Bledsoe, but I’m not entirely certain – there are many other rookie QBs who simply flame out.

Depending on whom you ask, common sense in drafting for an NFL team says that you either take for need, or you take the best available.  The Bears need a QB, so they drafted one.  Is Trubisky, their guy?  I’m not sure.  Maybe yes, maybe no.  A couple of years ago I read or heard that for the millions of dollars spent on scouting, and draft analysis, the NFL has only a 50-50 record on players turning out, or turning into busts. 

There seems to be no agreement on how to build a team.  Do you build the team, and then go get the QB, or do you take a chance with a “franchise” QB, and hope they can survive long enough for you to get everything else in place – defense, offense, special teams? 

I’m not sure.  Look at the Colts with Luck, and they had something, and now it’s gone, and Luck is running for his life – or was until he got hurt.  Look at the Lions when they drafted Joey Harrington.  Who knows how good he could have been when there wasn’t anyone there to protect him, and the weapons weren’t available.  Same with David Carr in Houston.  Is he a bust?  “Experts” might say yes, but I’d say when you get sacked on every play – almost – to the tune of 70+ a season, do you even have a chance?

I’m reading fan reactions, and thoughts, and chuckling.  They want their 2nd pick to play.  No, they don’t.  Yes, no, and it goes on and on. 

Here’s what I think, based on what I’ve seen in rowing. 

There are two types of people who are put into coaching roles.  Teachers, and managers.  If you get a teacher, you’re going to do well.  If you get a manager, you’re at the whim of Lady Luck.  For years, Alex Smith of the 49ers was considered a bust.  And then Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL QB, came in as his head coach, and started turning him around.  And while he moved on, Smith has done alright in Kansas City.  Is he heading to the Hall of Fame?  But is he a bust?  No longer.  He had someone, and has someone who can help develop him as a QB, albeit late in his career.

So, rowing, and the types of coaches. 

Teachers, verses managers.  I’ve worked with several varsity coaches who believe that their job is to build fast boats.  And that’s it.  No development.  No skill training, or very little.  Skill and drill?  That’s the job of the novice coach.  Those coaches expect that once an athlete leaves their novice year, and becomes a varsity rower, they should be fully developed, and be a, “plug and play” athlete.  Unsurprisingly, the coaches I’ve encountered who believe this, haven’t been as successful as the coaches I’ve met who believe that their novices coaches are responsible for fundamentals, and installing a love of the sport into the athletes.  Once the athlete moves from novice to varsity, it’s their job – the head coach – to develop them into varsity athletes.  Unsurprisingly, the coaches I’ve encountered who believe this have had tremendous success, and even their down years are desirable by many other programs. 

Looking at the Chicago Bears situation, and many other similar situations, and then to my own sport, I say this.

Rushing is a sure sign of panic, and a sure sign that things are going to come untracked.  Are there the random outliers?  Yes, but for every single great rookie season, we see hundreds of less great, usually awful rookie seasons.  We see talented athletes turn into mediocre professionals because they weren’t afforded the time to transition from college to the pros, they weren’t developed from collegiate athletes to professional athletes.  In college they were amazing, but in the NFL, even you third string guy on the team is pretty darn special, better than a majority of those who’ve ever played a sport at a high level.  There’s a reason why those guys are where they are, and most of us aren’t. 

But developing a Tom Brady doesn’t happen overnight, and more to the point, it doesn’t happen simply by expecting it to happen. 

Drafting an athlete, having an athlete transition from novice to varsity doesn’t mean your job is done, and that they are a finished product.  You have work ahead of you.

If you understand this, if you can develop the athletes, if you can resist the idea of rushing simply to rush, then you stand a better chance of ending up with the athlete you hope you have, and getting the results you wish for.  If you rush, if you think others should do the job for you, if you simply think that it’s as easy as handing them the ball, or giving them the oar, then tossing them out the door, then you’re in for a very long, very poor season, or seasons. 


And history is replete with those stories. 

Comments

Popular Posts