Staying busy

The jobs haven't materialized as of yet, but I am staying busy.

My main project has been to revamp my resume.  I've been in contact with several connections I've made in various athletic departments, and this has been the suggestion most often mentioned.

Let me say that writing a resume and cover letter is more stressful than coaching.  I believe that writing a good cover letter begins with researching the position you're applying for, reading through the ad and identifying what they are looking for, looking into the program, and then tailoring your letter in a manner that fits the description.  This of course is done as succinctly as possible.  Loads of fun.

The resume is a bit easier, but after writing, and then re-writing them, the eyes grow tired.

However the job is nearly finished.  I submitted my current draft - never thought I'd be using those words again - to a couple of contacts who are going to tear through it, and offer up some suggestions, and then we move on from there.

Overall I'm in good spirits despite not having a coaching position.  I knew that this was a possibility this summer when I opted not to return to Oregon, but I wanted to take the chance at finding a full time position - juniors, or collegiate - and I don't regret making the decision.  I believe that life is about taking chances with the understanding that those chances do not always carry an immediate payoff.  This is one of those moments.  The opportunity was there, and I took it.

Robert Frost would say that this has made all the difference, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next step.  

Comments

Popular Posts