Boston next year

Well readers, unfortunately I will not be heading to Boston for the Heat of the Charles race.  After confirming my volunteer position, setting up travel arrangements, and securing lunch, I received an e-mail that informed me that my application had been denied.

Strange.

I sent off an e-mail to inquire about the change, and was told that due to some rearranging, they no longer needed me as a volunteer, but hope I consider applying again next year.

A little disappointing.  I had my whole itinerary planned out, arriving Friday morning after a redeye out of Portland, wandering around Boston in the fall, hitting up Fenway Park, and then spending Saturday working at the finish line before an early morning flight home.

Ah well, these things happen.  I was torn over the volunteer gear.  Last year they had some great jackets, and this year they opted for vests.  I don't know how I feel about vests in Boston in October, but you never know.  I'd prefer a jacket.

Still, Orbitz was extremely helpful in canceling my trip, and giving me a voucher for my flight - I'd opted for a non-refundable flight, oops - and refunding my hotel.  The silver lining is that I can use the voucher plus a $200 coupon from Orbitz - to cover my rescheduling fee, thank you kind lady - to go to the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston next spring.  I'm considering going to see that because I'm a huge analytics fan, and I believe rowing is the next place where analytics can make an impact.

I've also decided that regardless of not going, I am going to buy a HOTC banner when they come available.  I was supposed to go, and set to go, so despite not going, I feel it is deserved - I tend to avoid buying items from regattas that I've yet to attend, I'm looking at you Royal Henley.

So for now I'm happy that I received a very easy refund, and that in some way I'm glad to not being hopping aboard a redeye next Thursday.

I had an interview the other day.  It was an interesting interview, and stretched for an hour.  We will see what happens.  I won't name the program simply because I don't think I'll take the job if offered - that's getting ahead of the schedule - and was warned off of it by two trusted sources simply because of what was being offered vs. what should have been offered given the job responsibilities and requirements.

That's how these things go at times.

Comments

Popular Posts