Falling behind again

I've fallen behind a bit with the blog.  I wish I could say it was because I've been incredibly busy, but that's not the case.

A quick catch up.

Last week I went camping for five glorious days.  We headed out for Detroit Lake, one of the few campsites that still had space available.  Honestly, the place was 3/4 deserted so I'm not sure what the deal was with the limited number of spaces.  Each night we had a neighbor pick up and leave.

Sadly with the number of fires happening across the state, there was a ban on all fires not associated with a camp stove.  There went a lot of the dinner ideas.

One of the plusses to the lake being down low this year was the extremely limited number of biting bugs that hung around at night.  I was bit twice, a record low, and I don't believe that was due to the bug repellent that I brought with me.

One word on repellent.  Those clip on belt devices are not worth the money.  I ended up opting for a bracelet instead that worked much better.  Both the devices I had failed to start up properly and when they did, they quit working so I was constantly having to restart them.  The instructions for usage are limited at best so you are left wondering if you've managed to put the inserts in correctly, and each time you touch the device, the warning label demands you wash your hands.

These things were more annoying than being bit.

We spent the first full day - and the hottest - in Sisters, a place I've actually never been.  We lunched, shopped, walked, and read our way through this quaint little town, and after five minutes, I understood why people enjoyed being there.  It reminded me of the mountain towns I would hang out in when I was a kid in the Sierras, only larger.

Unfortunately for us a new fire started, so rather than stay the full five days, we bugged out on Friday and headed for Corvallis so I could show off where I'd spent the last year as a volunteer intern.  The girlfriend was mightily impressed with the area - Corvallis is a rather nice town if you ignore the outrageous rental prices - and then we followed it up with a long day on the coast enjoying the cool weather, stiff breeze and semi empty beaches.

With that, it's back home where the prep for what's next continues.

Comments

Popular Posts