Logistics
It's down to the last 8 days before I head to Seattle for graduate school. Right now the focus is on pulling together the last few details before heading up.
The biggest of the details, and perhaps the most important is where I'm going to stay while I'm in Seattle. Most of the apartments and rooms that I've located are looking for a minimum amount of time, something much longer than a single month. I do have friends in the Seattle area, but crashing on a couch or in a room for an entire month is asking a bit much - in my opinion - even if it's welcomed or with help on groceries, utilities, or simply "thank you."
So for now, this leaves the hotel option. The positives about the hotel option are the daily house cleaning, and not having to bring anything - bedding, towels, etc. - to Seattle, parking is taken care of - something that can be a premium in Seattle proper, and of course, not feeling that I'm overstaying which might only be an issue in my mind, but still remains an issue. The negatives of course are that this is an expensive option, and most likely means I'll be driving every day to and from school, something that I was hoping to avoid, since the cheaper hotels are further out. This also means dealing with traffic in the morning and the evening, and in order to save money on a hotel room, it means finding interesting ways to cut costs. Since eating out every day is not an option - at least in my mind - this means trying to come up with ways to keep food in the room while possibly not having a kitchenette or even mini-fridge.
That's where the focus has been the last two weeks, that and securing an internship. It's not the most exciting thing, but it is a very necessary thing. I do promise to try and have more exciting updates about school, and or an internship the next time. Until then, I hope you're enjoying the World Cup. I've been working on a post that touches on this - a small teaser.
The biggest of the details, and perhaps the most important is where I'm going to stay while I'm in Seattle. Most of the apartments and rooms that I've located are looking for a minimum amount of time, something much longer than a single month. I do have friends in the Seattle area, but crashing on a couch or in a room for an entire month is asking a bit much - in my opinion - even if it's welcomed or with help on groceries, utilities, or simply "thank you."
So for now, this leaves the hotel option. The positives about the hotel option are the daily house cleaning, and not having to bring anything - bedding, towels, etc. - to Seattle, parking is taken care of - something that can be a premium in Seattle proper, and of course, not feeling that I'm overstaying which might only be an issue in my mind, but still remains an issue. The negatives of course are that this is an expensive option, and most likely means I'll be driving every day to and from school, something that I was hoping to avoid, since the cheaper hotels are further out. This also means dealing with traffic in the morning and the evening, and in order to save money on a hotel room, it means finding interesting ways to cut costs. Since eating out every day is not an option - at least in my mind - this means trying to come up with ways to keep food in the room while possibly not having a kitchenette or even mini-fridge.
That's where the focus has been the last two weeks, that and securing an internship. It's not the most exciting thing, but it is a very necessary thing. I do promise to try and have more exciting updates about school, and or an internship the next time. Until then, I hope you're enjoying the World Cup. I've been working on a post that touches on this - a small teaser.

Comments