Thoughts via the NFL

I apologize for the length between posts.  It's been a very busy September/October and it just seems to be getting busier.

I've been reading some of the articles on NFL teams switching their quarterbacks, and this has got me thinking about lineups and lineup changes.

I love just about every aspect of being a rowing coach.  I think that on any given day, I have one of the best jobs in the world.  I get to be outside.  I get to teach something that I love, and I do feel that I'm able to positively impact those I coach.  I even enjoy staff meetings - most of the time - and department meetings.

One aspect that I really don't like, and this stems back to when I was rowing/coxing, is seat racing and setting lineups.  There is very little about this process that I enjoy, and I never find it easy.  I've had years where I've had 4 - 8 athletes stand above everyone, and I've had years where 1 to 20 are all solid boat movers, and the top 10 are neck and neck.

Years where it would seem straightforward are difficult because I'm often wondering why I wasn't able to get a better effort out of the rest of the team.  Years where I have a plethora of athletes leaves me wondering if I'm making the right call, if the lineup combination that I've come up with is the best, and leaves me wanting more time to test.

All the logistics aside, the part I dislike the most about seat racing or lineup testing, is telling an athlete, "You're out, and this is why."  Inevitably the question raised is, "Will I get another chance?"  This process is made even more complicated when the test results are marginal regardless of how many tests are run, or when you have a gut feeling.  I trust my gut when it comes to coaching, and explaining that to an athlete can be difficult.  I try and circumvent this in the fall when I tell the athletes what selection will be like, and that there are times I rely on my experience to make a call, regardless of what I see.

Still, even if I'm backed up by data, and results, I hate seeing the look in the eyes when you tell someone that they didn't make the seat they've been coveting.  Sometimes it's easier because their body of work both on and off the water doesn't match their desires, but that for me has been an extreme rarity.  9.9 times out of 10, it's a case where I am making a difficult decision.

I remember back to when I was going through selection.  I remember that it came down to my experience and attitude in the boat more than my ability.  The guy I beat out was better than me in nearly every facet except attitude and marginal experience.  That was my first lesson in learning that while numbers may not lie, there's more to making a boat than putting up a pretty appearance.

Comments

Popular Posts