Defining sportsmanship
I believe that coaching should never just be about wins and loses. Whether you like it or not, when you step into the role of a coach, you take on responsibilities beyond simply getting results.
If you haven't read the stories coming out of Utah about the high school football coach who suspended his entire team over issues with grades and character. Here's a link to the story. It's very easy to sit outside and say, "Oh I would have done that and more," but I can tell you, it's not that easy. I've had to deal with these sort of issues twice while coaching at the junior level, though thankfully never to the extent that this coach had to deal with.
I applaud this coach for standing up and doing the difficult, but correct thing. It's a standard we should all - coaches, parents, administrators, etc. - should live up to.
If you haven't read the stories coming out of Utah about the high school football coach who suspended his entire team over issues with grades and character. Here's a link to the story. It's very easy to sit outside and say, "Oh I would have done that and more," but I can tell you, it's not that easy. I've had to deal with these sort of issues twice while coaching at the junior level, though thankfully never to the extent that this coach had to deal with.
I applaud this coach for standing up and doing the difficult, but correct thing. It's a standard we should all - coaches, parents, administrators, etc. - should live up to.

Comments