Opportunities abound

Spring Break training begins next week, and having learned a lesson about our home section of the river, we've relocated this year to Portland, where the Willamette is wide, slow, and deep. 

Yesterday we moved all the boats we'll need to the ORU boathouse, located near Oaks Park, and Monday will move the team, and the coaching launches up as well.  5 days of training with over 21,000 meters of water.  I am really looking forward to taking some good long, hard rows and playing with this new lineup, and new rigging on our eight.  

I'm also looking forward to spending some quality time with the men's 4.  The lineup is 80% set, with 1 seat left to be contested, as well as a final lineup up to be checked out.  I'm not settled on a stroke seat yet, but I'm using the run up to WIRAs as a testing bed.  Yes we'll take our lumps, but I want to make sure we head into our biggest race with the best possible combination and lineup we can put together.  

In general it will be good to get out of Salem.  The weather should be fairly nice - knock on wood - and the waters calm, plus we've got a great base to go back to with plenty of food options - always important to rowers.  It also gets us out of the "same as usual" feeling of being on campus, and rowing the same stretch of water as we do nearly every day of the year.  

All that being said, I really do miss the spring break trips to Sacramento and San Francisco.  Portland is nice, but very few venues compare to Lake Natoma.  

Comments

Popular Posts