How much is too much part II

Some random and scattered thoughts today.

The last time we addressed this topic, "How much is too much" I was in the process of working on rigging numbers for my eight heading into Northwest Regionals.

This time around, this question revolves around training plans - summer/winter doesn't matter.  

While I was at the annual convention, I listened to a very well known and well respected coach discuss their training plans.  Each year year the plan is different.  What was done the year before is last year, and regardless of how good the plan was, how well the team did, the next season required a new training plan.  They were quick to point out that it's not necessarily about reinventing the wheel, but that a change in training eliminates boredom.  

I am with this school of thought.  I used to reinvent the wheel, but found that it messed with consistency in my training - go figure right?  But I still didn't want to just "copy and paste."  Now I look at what I've planned, what went well, what could have gone better, what didn't go well, and build the new plan from that.  Workouts might be similar, and I do have some "bread and butter" practices that I love and repeat year by year, but I try and bring something new and fresh to the table each year.  I try and avoid mixing the feeling of "consistency" with that of "complacency."

Still, I know that there are some good coaches whom I've worked with who look at me sideways when I'm breaking apart a training plan that got results.  So there is obviously room for both arguments at the table.  I don't feel that starting over, as long as it's not from scratch, is too much, but some feel that a solid training plan is a solid training plan.  I think back to the idea of, "this is how we've always done it," akin to calling something the "(Insert program name) Way."

I tend to feel that "Blank Way" is less of a training plan, and more of a mentality and a way of training.  I believe that consistency is good when it is reflected in a consistent attitude, consistent expectations or demands, traditions, etc. but not necessarily consistency is "same old same old."  

Comments

Popular Posts