Family
It can be said that despite it's long history, Willamette rowing really doesn't carry a lot of traditions. In fact even as an alum of the program I struggle to think of one off the top of my head.So that being said, it's time that we start some traditions that will hopefully carry over. This year we decided to award the three seniors on the team with Willamette blades.
I've seen this done before but never at this program or at any program that I've personally been part of and I'm glad to see it taking root here. We hit up Concept 2 and ordered what are called "trophy blades" which are basically blades that have some minor defects. We ordered blades that corresponded with the side each senior rowed, painted them up - a bigger ordeal than anticipated - and handed them out the other night at our end of the year team banquet.
I think that this is a gift that will have to make a continued appearance. I know that when we pulled these out, everyone's eyes were immediately glued to them and you could see the wheels turning, "I want one of those, how do I get it?" A definite home run so to speak.
Anyhow, with the awards handed out, we do say goodbye to three seniors on the women's team as well as saying goodbye to the team till next fall. Summer workouts are coming, the office is getting cleaned out and the sun has made an appearance three days in a row.
If you're looking for a quick step by step run down on how to paint one of these, check out the projects blog here.

Comments