My rowing hack
Row2k has been running a column about rowing tricks of the trade from the liberal use of electrical tape to a strap wheel and today, using the erg seats as an ab roller. To the uninitiated, these look new but for us old salts, they are valuable knowledge gained through either trial and error or picking the mind - or checking out trailers at regattas - of other coaches.
I've been reading each column with interest, trying to see if I can expand on what I already know or if I can pick up anything that I've completely overlooked. It's been in the back of my mind to try and invent some sort of tool that maybe, eventually, possibly help out the rowing world and thereby be my small contribution to a sport that has already given me so much.
I'm excited to announce that I might have stumbled upon it this morning. It's taking a little more trial and error and is definitely a "Macgyver" hack in every sense of the word. Lately we've been having problems with some of the ladies on the team over compressing while on the erg. We've lowered their foot stretchers or lifted them, added butt pads, checked out tape lines and nothing really seems to be working. This morning I hit upon the idea of using something as a physical barrier. It's a rather interesting fix because you need something that won't disrupt the rhythm of the stroke and that won't damage or permanently mark the rail on the erg but it also needs to be enough of a barrier that they notice it and make the change.
My solution: a spare shoe and blue painters tape. The shoe is enough of a barrier that the front of the seat can hit it without damaging the seat or the shoe and the blue tape means that it lifts off cleanly without leaving residue. Here's how it works; I'm assuming that you know what an erg is so if you don't, forgive me and I'll try and remember to get a picture tomorrow.
1. Take the extra shoe and have it so the heel is resting between the foot stretcher pads with the toe pointed toward the seat. The heel should be resting on that black square that marks where the erg splits for transport.
2. Have the athlete in question come up to the catch and check their knees and compression. Adjust the position of the shoe till you have the desired compression.
3. Take two long pieces of blue tape - more if you want - and center them over the heel cup and half way down the laces on the shoe. Then wrap the tape under, down along the erg so it goes under the erg and back to the top, thus securing the shoe.
4. Erg. If it's done right, the tape will keep the shoe from being bounced off or pushed while the rubber tip of the shoe still gives enough that the seat doesn't rebound awkwardly at the catch or full compression.
It worked this morning with the two athletes who were coming too far over with the knees. It took them a few strokes to get used to it but by the time they were done with their 15 minute warm up, they'd adjusted. As for the concern that they might overreact and stop short at say 3/4 slide, it wasn't a problem once they started taking normal strokes. And the profile of the shoe was such that they didn't know they were there.
So that's my rowing hack. Like the hacks I've been reading about, I'm sure I am not the first person to come up with this idea, nor am I going to claim that it's a sure fire winner. It did the job we needed this morning and that is what matters to this coach.
I've been reading each column with interest, trying to see if I can expand on what I already know or if I can pick up anything that I've completely overlooked. It's been in the back of my mind to try and invent some sort of tool that maybe, eventually, possibly help out the rowing world and thereby be my small contribution to a sport that has already given me so much.
I'm excited to announce that I might have stumbled upon it this morning. It's taking a little more trial and error and is definitely a "Macgyver" hack in every sense of the word. Lately we've been having problems with some of the ladies on the team over compressing while on the erg. We've lowered their foot stretchers or lifted them, added butt pads, checked out tape lines and nothing really seems to be working. This morning I hit upon the idea of using something as a physical barrier. It's a rather interesting fix because you need something that won't disrupt the rhythm of the stroke and that won't damage or permanently mark the rail on the erg but it also needs to be enough of a barrier that they notice it and make the change.
My solution: a spare shoe and blue painters tape. The shoe is enough of a barrier that the front of the seat can hit it without damaging the seat or the shoe and the blue tape means that it lifts off cleanly without leaving residue. Here's how it works; I'm assuming that you know what an erg is so if you don't, forgive me and I'll try and remember to get a picture tomorrow.
1. Take the extra shoe and have it so the heel is resting between the foot stretcher pads with the toe pointed toward the seat. The heel should be resting on that black square that marks where the erg splits for transport.
2. Have the athlete in question come up to the catch and check their knees and compression. Adjust the position of the shoe till you have the desired compression.
3. Take two long pieces of blue tape - more if you want - and center them over the heel cup and half way down the laces on the shoe. Then wrap the tape under, down along the erg so it goes under the erg and back to the top, thus securing the shoe.
4. Erg. If it's done right, the tape will keep the shoe from being bounced off or pushed while the rubber tip of the shoe still gives enough that the seat doesn't rebound awkwardly at the catch or full compression.
It worked this morning with the two athletes who were coming too far over with the knees. It took them a few strokes to get used to it but by the time they were done with their 15 minute warm up, they'd adjusted. As for the concern that they might overreact and stop short at say 3/4 slide, it wasn't a problem once they started taking normal strokes. And the profile of the shoe was such that they didn't know they were there.
So that's my rowing hack. Like the hacks I've been reading about, I'm sure I am not the first person to come up with this idea, nor am I going to claim that it's a sure fire winner. It did the job we needed this morning and that is what matters to this coach.

Comments