Counting calories

It's Thanksgiving Eve and the piles of food stuffs have been piling up for the last few days. Today we made one final push to get everything we need for dinner and snacks tomorrow without having to risk a random, half mad rush to the store before they close or run out of everything. I laughed at my parents for stocking up on items in September and October but now, with pies getting ready to be made, shelves void of pie makings, our bird nicely thawing and more than enough stuffing for our entire block, I'm glad they planned ahead.

It's times like this along with Christmas and New Years depending on how big you do it up, that make me happy I'm no longer a serious athlete. Resisting the call of a second slice of pie with a mountain of whipped cream, another scoop of amazing stuffing/dressing - my personal weakness - with a tiny dollop, ok a large ladle full of gravy, or a midnight turkey sandwich with brie and cranberry sauce is difficult when I was competing. I'm not sure how I managed to hold off on loading up at the buffet or snacking throughout the day but I pulled through each year, much to the chagrin of my tummy.

Of course now I know more and that indulging a little wouldn't have broken the bank given the workouts that we were doing each day but it is news better learned late. I can see myself staring at the pumpkin pie - oddly enough not my favorite; it's a season thing - promising that for every slice I'll pull a 6k sub my goal split. That would have been a painful and ultimately unsuccessful venture.

So as a coach who only needs to fit into my life jacket - I kid - I wish all of my readers and rowers the best this Thanksgiving. And if you're being tempted by a second helping of green bean casserole or that last bite or four of garlic mashed potatoes, pass them this direction. That's what coach is for.

Comments

Popular Posts