Clinic

I spent part of this past weekend at the US Rowing Level II coaching clinic hosted by Rose City Rowing Club at the Portland Boathouse. Despite the cold it was a very good day and it was a real privilege to listen to and talk with Nick Haley, the head coach at RCRC. I filled several pages in my notebook with notes and was given a lot of new information to digest as well as new angles on things that I've already dealt with or experienced.

One of my favorite parts of coaching is that you can "nerd out" as my friends call it - I prefer talking shop - without feeling as though you're really pressing an issue. What I mean by this is that these clinics and when you spend time talking to other coaches, you're really learning from each other and there rarely is a time limit or information limit. I consider myself very fortunate to have gathered the friends and resources that I have and with us spread across the country or even the state, when we are able to get together and talk everything from new ways to work on an erg to serious discussions about technique are on the table.

A topic, a sticky one depending on who you talk to, is the idea of sharing information and technique. Listening to Nick and thinking back to a clinic I attended at the University of Washington with Bob Ernst and the arguments they put forth, I find that I am very much in their camp meaning, sharing strengthens US Rowing. I find that their willingness to share their experience along with many others has greatly influenced how I coach and given me plenty to consider regarding my own methods and I believe that if they can share what they know, I should be able to do the same. Again in my opinion it's a bigger picture approach where contributing in any way to US Rowing is the very least I can do. To date no one has ever hit me up at a clinic asking my secrets but I hope that if and when that happens, I'm able to give them as much information as I've received.

All this being said, I am very excited to be part of US Rowing and proud to again be contributing in a small way to the growth of the sport. As Nick and other coaches have said, by attending these clinics and sharing what you know, you're helping our sport.

Comments

Popular Posts