6k

Today was the first test of the season. It seems a little late to be running our first test seeing as how there's only one race weekend left before the end of the fall season but it's how things go. I don't know if there is an ideal time to run your tests verse a less ideal time although I try and schedule them well before any potential race.

Fridays are typically my test days simply because it gives the athletes a full weekend to recover. If the club ran practices 6 days a week - a practice I do miss - then I'd adjust Saturday practice loads accordingly. Because attendance has been an issue this year with almost everyone missing several days, I decided to take advantage of a day we're usually all together. The results were encouraging and it's fairly easy to see who has been pulling their weight in practice and who hasn't.

Seeing as how this is the first test of the season I typically don't put a lot of weight behind it and mostly use it to gauge how things are going. The splits I record help me to track who is doing what, where they might be lacking in physical fitness and whether or not I can see any patterns in what they're doing i.e. peaks and lulls.

Overall the results are fair. I had two athletes really put down some fairly good times compared to the rest of their team as well as in comparison to the varsity guys and I've got a couple who could use some extra time on the ergs or work harder in practice. But again it's the first test and the important thing is to get one under the belt. The one next week - or the week after - will tell me a lot more.

Comments

Popular Posts