Update summer 2020
Hello loyal readers,
I apologize for the lengthy delay in posts. As I'm sure you're aware by the news and such, it's been a crazy summer and as such, it's been a bit insane for job applications.
Let me catch you up. I am still applying for coaching jobs, but I have branched out and looked at jobs in athletic administration as well as some unrelated management jobs in sportswear - Columbia for example.
I withdrew from consideration for a job that sounded solid on paper, but in the interview became less so. If I were 10 years younger then perhaps, and certainly right out of college, but it wasn't something I was interested in for now. Don't misunderstand me. The coaching portion was solid. It was the requirements outside of the main job that left a bit to be desired. I had no issue with them, but I did have an issue combining a second full-time position with the full-time requirements for being the head coach.
I'm currently looking at junior programs. I had a promising lead on one two months ago, but they have gone radio silent since the first exchange and I refuse to be the only person attempting to communicate in any situation. After a reply and three attempts, I am moving on. Best of luck.
The summer has been one where I feel a bit behind but by choice. I was looking at jobs on the east coast for reasons outside of coaching but things fell through. My choice to limit my search, but that means that I feel as though I'm doing a bit of scrambling now. Again, my own choice to limit my search so the scrambling is on me. We just continue to press on.
I remind myself that we're in a brave new world with Covid-19 still running its course. This means that the job market is going to be a bit less than its usual robust self, and I can tell with jobs not peaking more than 42 when typically they'd be double that or more. I believe last summer there were 138 at a point.
As for my current plan? Continue to lean into the work. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you just have to grind. And for my career, the grind has been the status quo. There's simply no reason to complain about it. You just embrace it.
With that said, you should also be thankful for things, and I am thankful for my situation where I can live cheaply and stretch the final two paychecks without too much concern. October would be a different mood entirely, but I plan on being in a program by then.
Until then, keep pushing, keep grinding, keep on being safe.

Comments