I am 14 going on 15...
Hello loyal readers.
I hope that your New Year celebrations were spectacular. My neighbors across the road decided that 11:59 was the perfect opportunity to set off mortars. Thankfully this lasted all of four blasts before they either called it quits, or Johnny Law decided to strongly urge them to quit.
I suppose I should be thankful that it was only four blasts, and not like the neighbor across the Snake River in Clarkston who would go full auto on several clips each morning at 6 AM. The joys of rural, very rural, living.
With that being said, it is January 2nd, 2020 and that means that the 2020 season has begun. Today is our first day back on the water. I believe we are in the 8-hour period so we're not fully engaged yet, but that day is rapidly approaching. It'll be nice to stretch the legs so to speak and see how everyone is doing. Winter training seems to go faster each year, and while this year certainly hasn't felt as though it's flown quite like last year, it is still difficult to believe that we're already starting.
We have a couple of practices this week, and then Saturday we will head down to Dexter outside of Lowell to mess about on flat water. Our river has come up, but it'll be interesting to see how much water we do have. The river was so low when we broke for winter that there were stretches you had to completely avoid or risk grounding the shell. It was with mixed emotions that you'd putter along with the launch knowing that the prop was lower in the water than the shell was giving you ample warning, while also being painfully aware that hitting the bottom would mean hitting rocks and thus losing a prop.
Am I excited to get started again? Yes. Spring is always special. I have one more trip ahead of me, a last Christmas gift to Buffalo, NY to see the girlfriend before we get back into the standard 20-hour weeks. I found a cheap ticket for January and took full advantage of it. I don't quite understand airline prices because flying into Buffalo in the middle of winter seems like the last thing you'd want to do, or one of the last things you'd want to do and therefore prices would be cheaper. You'd assume that, or I would, and I was wrong.
With that being said, the athletes will start rolling up soon. Likely a technical practice today, just to get back into the shells.
I hope that your New Year celebrations were spectacular. My neighbors across the road decided that 11:59 was the perfect opportunity to set off mortars. Thankfully this lasted all of four blasts before they either called it quits, or Johnny Law decided to strongly urge them to quit.
I suppose I should be thankful that it was only four blasts, and not like the neighbor across the Snake River in Clarkston who would go full auto on several clips each morning at 6 AM. The joys of rural, very rural, living.
With that being said, it is January 2nd, 2020 and that means that the 2020 season has begun. Today is our first day back on the water. I believe we are in the 8-hour period so we're not fully engaged yet, but that day is rapidly approaching. It'll be nice to stretch the legs so to speak and see how everyone is doing. Winter training seems to go faster each year, and while this year certainly hasn't felt as though it's flown quite like last year, it is still difficult to believe that we're already starting.
We have a couple of practices this week, and then Saturday we will head down to Dexter outside of Lowell to mess about on flat water. Our river has come up, but it'll be interesting to see how much water we do have. The river was so low when we broke for winter that there were stretches you had to completely avoid or risk grounding the shell. It was with mixed emotions that you'd putter along with the launch knowing that the prop was lower in the water than the shell was giving you ample warning, while also being painfully aware that hitting the bottom would mean hitting rocks and thus losing a prop.
Am I excited to get started again? Yes. Spring is always special. I have one more trip ahead of me, a last Christmas gift to Buffalo, NY to see the girlfriend before we get back into the standard 20-hour weeks. I found a cheap ticket for January and took full advantage of it. I don't quite understand airline prices because flying into Buffalo in the middle of winter seems like the last thing you'd want to do, or one of the last things you'd want to do and therefore prices would be cheaper. You'd assume that, or I would, and I was wrong.
With that being said, the athletes will start rolling up soon. Likely a technical practice today, just to get back into the shells.

Comments