Winter upkeep
Hello loyal readers.
Once again, the months have slipped by and posts have not been made. I was in the process of cleaning up the current laptop and realized that I'd failed to start a vlog this year - something I've done regularly since 2017 though I've yet to upload much if anything.
So the blog still exists and I do think about it regularly, but the lack of sufficient WiFi keeps me from updating as much as I'd like.
We're due for our first winter "blast" this week and I am not looking forward to it. So far the weather app is showing six to seven days of below freezing nights with suboptimal days barely cracking 40.
I am not a winter weather person. I prefer to drive to snow and the colder temps, but living in it is certainly not high nor anywhere on the list for this California native. You may take me out of my state, but you cannot take the state out of moi.
We'll make due.
Thanksgiving is also right around the corner, and while I'd prefer to be dining at home - I like cooking for the holidays - some family time will be a welcomed respite. This year we are going to the Oregon Gardens. I first visited the gardens way back in good ol' 2000/2001 and haven't been back much since. Two visits. They have certainly grown up. My parents are looking forward to three days of strolling around the gardens, and my mother will likely take up some of their daily activities. I can catch up on some reading. I recently picked up this book that has been on my "wishlist" from Amazon for some time. I'm finishing up the first chapter and I highly recommend it.
Now that we've taken an unusual side trek away from what this blog typically covers, it's time for an about face to get back to the norm.
Rowing.
The season is progressing well. Of the freshmen who've come in with this recruiting class, most have adapted well to the shift from high school to collegiate rowing. For some, the step was relatively simply, while others have taken more time to adjust.
I ran the walkon tryout process this year and while the turnout was smaller than usual, I cut the list down to six athletes we felt showed promise. One has dropped, but the other five continue to do good work and are progressing quickly. We've established baseline times for them through tests - 6k, 1' max, wattages, etc. - which will give them something to push against as we head into winter.
The fall racing was solid with a good showing in the Champ Four at Head of the Charles, followed by good results at Head of the Lake. We had to shuffle the lineups in the three boats at the last second, but still feel comfortable with what we saw and what we're seeing from the boats and on the ergs. There's still more work ahead but I'm feeling more optimistic about this coming year than last. Progress can be painful, but is worthwhile.
With that being said, Thanksgiving break is coming and the time off will be welcomed.
Once again, the months have slipped by and posts have not been made. I was in the process of cleaning up the current laptop and realized that I'd failed to start a vlog this year - something I've done regularly since 2017 though I've yet to upload much if anything.
So the blog still exists and I do think about it regularly, but the lack of sufficient WiFi keeps me from updating as much as I'd like.
We're due for our first winter "blast" this week and I am not looking forward to it. So far the weather app is showing six to seven days of below freezing nights with suboptimal days barely cracking 40.
I am not a winter weather person. I prefer to drive to snow and the colder temps, but living in it is certainly not high nor anywhere on the list for this California native. You may take me out of my state, but you cannot take the state out of moi.
We'll make due.
Thanksgiving is also right around the corner, and while I'd prefer to be dining at home - I like cooking for the holidays - some family time will be a welcomed respite. This year we are going to the Oregon Gardens. I first visited the gardens way back in good ol' 2000/2001 and haven't been back much since. Two visits. They have certainly grown up. My parents are looking forward to three days of strolling around the gardens, and my mother will likely take up some of their daily activities. I can catch up on some reading. I recently picked up this book that has been on my "wishlist" from Amazon for some time. I'm finishing up the first chapter and I highly recommend it.
Now that we've taken an unusual side trek away from what this blog typically covers, it's time for an about face to get back to the norm.
Rowing.
The season is progressing well. Of the freshmen who've come in with this recruiting class, most have adapted well to the shift from high school to collegiate rowing. For some, the step was relatively simply, while others have taken more time to adjust.
I ran the walkon tryout process this year and while the turnout was smaller than usual, I cut the list down to six athletes we felt showed promise. One has dropped, but the other five continue to do good work and are progressing quickly. We've established baseline times for them through tests - 6k, 1' max, wattages, etc. - which will give them something to push against as we head into winter.
The fall racing was solid with a good showing in the Champ Four at Head of the Charles, followed by good results at Head of the Lake. We had to shuffle the lineups in the three boats at the last second, but still feel comfortable with what we saw and what we're seeing from the boats and on the ergs. There's still more work ahead but I'm feeling more optimistic about this coming year than last. Progress can be painful, but is worthwhile.
With that being said, Thanksgiving break is coming and the time off will be welcomed.

Comments