Communication

A question I'm often asked is, "What's your favorite television show?"  Many are surprised when my answer is, "I don't watch television shows."

I suppose I should define television shows as the dramas, and comedies, and not documentaries or sports shows.

Why?

I find that all television shows, no matter what the content or direction base their shows or seasons on one simple premise:  Communication or a lack of it.

At some point, someone doesn't tell the truth, doesn't tell the whole truth, chooses to not tell the truth to spare someone, and inevitably it comes back to ruin everything.  Almost all situations could have been avoided if the two parties involved simply talked to each other like adults.

But I suppose that is a reflection upon real life.  We often have trouble with those who shoot straight from the hip.  We tend to call them direct, or b****es, or blunt, etc.

Coaching in the same way.  Communication is one of the keys to successful coaching.  The more you communicate, the better things are going to be, and the easier they will be in the long run.  Of course that's easy for me to say from behind the computer screen and less easy to do in person.  And I agree with that.  I dislike confrontation.  I will do it, but I'd rather do almost anything else than confront someone.  I'd rather the person do what I hope they will do rather than have to tell them, or point out where I'm coming from. 

Confrontation and communication seem to go hand in hand with some people. 

But it is essential.  And communication is the key - I find - to avoiding confrontation. 

You have to find your own voice and style.  It's important to develop it.  It's also important that you communication consistently, and that you approach each conversation like a dialog between two or more individuals, and not as a way to railroad someone. 

Communication, like the skills we teach the athletes, improves through repetition and practice. 

Comments

Popular Posts