Leave things as you found them
I was taught that when you borrow something from someone, you should always return it in the same condition - or better - than it was given to you.
I am a big believer in cooperation, and being courteous. One of the assistant coaches with the women's team rode along with me on Saturday and noted how I would not use the megaphone on a stretch of the river next to apartments, or houses, and how I would always wave to other boaters.
Common courtesy. I believe in it.
I believe that if you are fortunate to be considered a, "have" program, that you should always help the, "have nots." Being the former doesn't mean that you are a massive program, or that you have money, boats, etc. It could be as simple as having more experienced coaches, a better trailer, etc. I have borrowed boats on a couple of occasions when I was at a smaller program and I have offered to lend programs boats, or some of our time to help other programs. I've helped facilitate a program's inclusion into a regatta they wouldn't normally be welcomed in. In short, help, receive help.
That being said, I believe it is incredibly important, downright required that when a program helps you out, that you return the favor as much as possible. That might be a monetary donation, that might be a turn about where they can borrow from you, or it might simply be that you clean down their boat, and return it as you found it.
With that in mind, I loaned out the top eight I was using this summer to the masters program because it fit them better. I had no issue doing it because it's not my boat - though I have priority on it - and because I was more than happy splitting into smaller boats and using an older eight.
This morning at 515 am, I came down to the boathouse with a plan to move a bit slower. We wanted to spend some time with the dock rowers, I wanted to rig the eight back up, and generally have an easier Monday because Tuesday - Thursday will be very intense.
And what I found was the eight missing three complete foot stretchers, top nuts, and hardware, all of which should have been pointed out to me Sunday when the boat was pulled from the trailer but wasn't. That was left for this morning.
Accidents happen with hardware, though foot stretchers being gone is 100 percent inexcusable. But to return the top boat to the juniors who were nice enough to allow you to row in their shell that fit better, and was newer, and then to treat it like that and return it in such shape is infuriating as hell. Our top shell is out until we find spare parts. It's also not the program's boat, but a shell borrowed from one of the local scholastic teams which means it's my ass on the line for using that boat and turning it over - I cleared this, but that doesn't change it.
Chris always says, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." I have never liked masters programs or rowers, I've had bad experiences the three previous times I've worked with them, and coming down today simply reinforces my belief that masters rowers should not be allowed near any equipment that's not old, outdated, and sun bleached.
I am not pleased.
Complain about younger folks and kids, and millenials all you like. Whine about the younger generation not understanding the value of...anything. Every generation does.
But take a good long hard look in the mirror when you do. Because you're the generation that taught them this was ok.
And a borrowed shell left in shambles is a perfect example of this hypocrisy.
I am a big believer in cooperation, and being courteous. One of the assistant coaches with the women's team rode along with me on Saturday and noted how I would not use the megaphone on a stretch of the river next to apartments, or houses, and how I would always wave to other boaters.
Common courtesy. I believe in it.
I believe that if you are fortunate to be considered a, "have" program, that you should always help the, "have nots." Being the former doesn't mean that you are a massive program, or that you have money, boats, etc. It could be as simple as having more experienced coaches, a better trailer, etc. I have borrowed boats on a couple of occasions when I was at a smaller program and I have offered to lend programs boats, or some of our time to help other programs. I've helped facilitate a program's inclusion into a regatta they wouldn't normally be welcomed in. In short, help, receive help.
That being said, I believe it is incredibly important, downright required that when a program helps you out, that you return the favor as much as possible. That might be a monetary donation, that might be a turn about where they can borrow from you, or it might simply be that you clean down their boat, and return it as you found it.
With that in mind, I loaned out the top eight I was using this summer to the masters program because it fit them better. I had no issue doing it because it's not my boat - though I have priority on it - and because I was more than happy splitting into smaller boats and using an older eight.
This morning at 515 am, I came down to the boathouse with a plan to move a bit slower. We wanted to spend some time with the dock rowers, I wanted to rig the eight back up, and generally have an easier Monday because Tuesday - Thursday will be very intense.
And what I found was the eight missing three complete foot stretchers, top nuts, and hardware, all of which should have been pointed out to me Sunday when the boat was pulled from the trailer but wasn't. That was left for this morning.
Accidents happen with hardware, though foot stretchers being gone is 100 percent inexcusable. But to return the top boat to the juniors who were nice enough to allow you to row in their shell that fit better, and was newer, and then to treat it like that and return it in such shape is infuriating as hell. Our top shell is out until we find spare parts. It's also not the program's boat, but a shell borrowed from one of the local scholastic teams which means it's my ass on the line for using that boat and turning it over - I cleared this, but that doesn't change it.
Chris always says, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." I have never liked masters programs or rowers, I've had bad experiences the three previous times I've worked with them, and coming down today simply reinforces my belief that masters rowers should not be allowed near any equipment that's not old, outdated, and sun bleached.
I am not pleased.
Complain about younger folks and kids, and millenials all you like. Whine about the younger generation not understanding the value of...anything. Every generation does.
But take a good long hard look in the mirror when you do. Because you're the generation that taught them this was ok.
And a borrowed shell left in shambles is a perfect example of this hypocrisy.

Comments