A change of heart?
Prepare for the first of - possibly/probably - many blog entries about what I'll be doing post 2019. For the record, when I say post, I typically am referring to the end of the spring season so this isn't about 2020, but what to do once IRAs ends in June.
I am seriously considering leaving coaching. I've spoken about it, and have been looking into jobs outside of coaching.
My passion is coaching, but I've become a bit enamored with analytics, and would enjoy pursuing a career in it. Specifically I would be interested in staying in athletics, however a general understanding and career in the analytical world.
That being said, my true goal for gaining an understanding of analytics would be to bring that sort of analysis back into the rowing world. But more on that later.
Of course a change in career isn't the easiest thing to consider, and while I'd like to stick with the university setting and work with student athletes, any change that means leaving the launch behind raises the heart rate.
Also not helping the situation is how quickly this year has passed. I find it difficult to believe that the calendar is ready to turn the page on January and head into February. This is in stark contrast to last year when I felt that I experienced every single minute that existed during the day. The reason for the change is the overall experience. I am having fun again. More importantly, I feel that there is a true direction for the program, and while the path isn't entirely certain, we know where we are, and where we want to go. The idea of "being better" isn't something nebulous that we spitball at for hours and days at a time. There's a direction for recruiting, and a plan for recruiting that extends beyond finding athletes. We know what we could use now, and how incoming athletes will set us up for the future. We understand that simply recruiting numbers won't amount to the changes we desire without backing the numbers with changes in training.
I knew that this was always a possibility, that I'd enjoy coaching again once I returned to Oregon State, and that the enjoyment would make it more difficult to leave. It's also difficult to consider leaving when you believe that coaching is where you're supposed to be, and what you're meant to be doing.
Many things to consider going forward this year. Regardless of how 2019 finishes, it's going to be a fun year.
I am seriously considering leaving coaching. I've spoken about it, and have been looking into jobs outside of coaching.
My passion is coaching, but I've become a bit enamored with analytics, and would enjoy pursuing a career in it. Specifically I would be interested in staying in athletics, however a general understanding and career in the analytical world.
That being said, my true goal for gaining an understanding of analytics would be to bring that sort of analysis back into the rowing world. But more on that later.
Of course a change in career isn't the easiest thing to consider, and while I'd like to stick with the university setting and work with student athletes, any change that means leaving the launch behind raises the heart rate.
Also not helping the situation is how quickly this year has passed. I find it difficult to believe that the calendar is ready to turn the page on January and head into February. This is in stark contrast to last year when I felt that I experienced every single minute that existed during the day. The reason for the change is the overall experience. I am having fun again. More importantly, I feel that there is a true direction for the program, and while the path isn't entirely certain, we know where we are, and where we want to go. The idea of "being better" isn't something nebulous that we spitball at for hours and days at a time. There's a direction for recruiting, and a plan for recruiting that extends beyond finding athletes. We know what we could use now, and how incoming athletes will set us up for the future. We understand that simply recruiting numbers won't amount to the changes we desire without backing the numbers with changes in training.
I knew that this was always a possibility, that I'd enjoy coaching again once I returned to Oregon State, and that the enjoyment would make it more difficult to leave. It's also difficult to consider leaving when you believe that coaching is where you're supposed to be, and what you're meant to be doing.
Many things to consider going forward this year. Regardless of how 2019 finishes, it's going to be a fun year.

Comments