Tanks or Unis?

After a heavier post, I wanted to move back into a lighter, but somewhat controversial or at least opinionated topic. 

Tanks and trou vs. Unis.

This is a subject that I feel very strongly about, albeit differently whether I'm coaching men or women.  And I feel differently about it for one specific reason.

I believe that men's programs should race in tanks and trou unless it's a special circumstance.  I like the look of classic tanks on guys tucked into trou.  And for me it has to be tanks.  I raced my first regatta in a t-shirt, and I hated it.  I loved the shirt and still own it, but shirts bunch and get in the way and are hot.  Tanks on the other hand, a classic tank, signifies rowing. 

I'm fine with women's programs racing in trou and tanks as well.  We did this at Oregon, and a couple of other programs, but most programs I know issue unis. 

Why the tanks for men?  Betting.  I believe your shirt should always be on when you race and that you should hand over your tank to the victor of the race.  That's difficult and not cost effective for unis. 

I'm also against betting tanks vs. racing tanks.  I worked for a program where the head coach designed a classic looking trading tank.  I thought they looked exceptionally sharp, but that it also flew in the face of tradition.  I may rail against some traditions in rowing, but for men's programs, the handing over of your tank after a race is a tradition that should be maintained. 

I have several for teams that we beat in my possession and they mean more to me than the medals that I earned.  They are reminders of specific races, or a specific season. 

My favorite tank?  That's difficult.  My Western Washington tank brings back warm memories of racing against the Vikings, a class program top to bottom.  I remember laughing it up in The Cut after the Husky Open, and trading bow numbers with their four.  And I thought it was extremely classy that they came up to us after we won the conference and handed over their tanks. 

The Cal Lightweight tank I have is one of the sharpest tanks in my collection, and though I coached for them later, the UPS tank was one coveted by many programs given their history of excellence. 

A quick jog down memory lane there. 

So tanks and trou vs. unis.  I wore a uni in college - the t-shirt was only for novice year - and I still have it, but I truly enjoy tanks.  It takes me back to days of yore with wooden shells, spoons, and megaphones the size of your body. 

Comments

Popular Posts