Nothing to report

It's been a very long summer loyal readers, and while it hasn't been successful in job terms, I'm happy to report that I'm doing just fine.  

I normally reserve these for end of the year reports, but I figured with such a hectic 2015-2016, recapping now would save time later on down the road.  

Timeline since July 2015

- August 2015:  Return to Oregon State University as a volunteer coach for the women's rowing program.  

- December 2015:  After much thought and consideration, I decide to move on from Oregon State.  The reason?  Finances and time.  Having interned the year before, I know the amount of time required, and the amount of time I want to put in at OSU does not fit with my financial situation, and the dwindling savings.

- January 2016:  Accept position with the University of Oregon club program as the women's novice coach/women's varsity assistant/jack-of-all-trades helping as I can.  It's touch and go as I truly do not want to leave OSU, and consider changing my mind several times before completing my move to Eugene.  

- February 2016:  First month into the new program.

- April 2016:  Women's novice four wins WIRAs, qualifying for the American Collegiate Rowing Association National Championships at the end of May.  While there isn't an official qualification required, I'd made WIRAs the make or break point for the four.  

- May 2016:  Women's novice four wins the ACRA National Championship over excellent boats from Orange Coast College, and University of California Santa Barbara.  

- May 2016:  Resign my position at UofO.  While I am appreciative of the opportunity with the Oregon program, philosophically, the program and I are not a good match, and I decide to move on.  

- June through July 2016:  I applied for, and was offered a position as an intern with the US Men's Junior National Team High Performance/CANAMMEX camp in Ashland, Oregon.  I spend three weeks with the camp, and am invited to travel with the High Performance team to Lake Harsha in Ohio for the Club National Regatta.  

- August to present:  I'm applying for full time jobs during my time at camp, and through the summer.  While I receive several interviews, including my first ever campus interview - flown to the university - I come up short on five different jobs.  

Currently I am connecting with several networking connections I've made throughout my career, and while I was in graduate school.  I'll be volunteering at the Head of the Charles regatta in October in Boston - my first ever trip to the HOTC race - and will continue to look for opportunities.  

How am I feeling?  I'm doing well.  Getting turned down is simply part of the process.  

Am I regretting leaving Oregon?  No.  I haven't had a second thought about my decision to leave Oregon.  Again I appreciate the opportunity, but philosophically, we were at an impasse.  


Comments

Popular Posts