A trying season coming to a close

I apologize for the lengthy delay between posts.  This has been one of the more challenging, and humbling seasons that I've coached.

I won't delve into the details of this year, but suffice to say, this has been quite the learning experience I know that I need to go through, but also secretly hoped to never experience.  To say that this season has been trying would be a gross understatement.  This has definitely been one of the record books, and not a good record book at that.

Still, there is a silver lining.  I am very thankful to have found myself working in the athletic department with several new coaches whom I've all spoken with.  The growing pains that I am currently experiencing is par for the course.  A new coach means a new mentality for the program, and that will take a significant amount of time to take hold - 3 years minimum is the timeline I've been hearing.  I won't know for sure for at least 5 years - oh boy.  

However, it makes sense.  Those who are on the team have to decide if they would like to become athletes, or if the new challenge isn't something that they're interested in.  You will lose individuals, perhaps a lot of individuals, but in the end, the program will be stronger because of it, as long as you stick to your standards. You have to start identifying smaller successes rather than larger ones because the larger ones won't be around for a while.  You have to work up toward them.

It would be easy to say that I overachieved my first year here.  That's actually been something said to me by several peers, and that this season is more indicative of what I should be expecting for a year or more.  Again, growing pains.  

The final silver lining is knowing that this is something every, well, let's say nearly every coach coming in to take over, will experience.  It really is a boost to hear that what you're planning, how you've gone about the season, is in keeping with other less new coaches, and they're starting to see more success.  

I know that I came into this season with a set of expectations that in hindsight, were definitely too aggressive for my second year, and that has been a difficult pill to keep down.  But, hindsight is hindsight, and I've used it to fuel this summer training plan, as well as next year's plan - yes I'm already thinking about that.  

We have 3 weeks left to run in this season, two actually since this week is over, and then summer.  And this year, I could really use that break.  

Comments

Popular Posts