You again?
Well sports fans, it's that time of the year again: winter training. It's hard to believe that it's here again so soon and yet as I look at the calender that is reading mid October, and then take stock on how I'm currently feeling, I'm wondering how I managed to survive to this point.
To say that this fall season has been one of the most challenging in recent memory would be a gross understatement. From illness to lack of numbers, and class conflict, it has really been quite an undertaking to get out a full eight. It certain has been the case of, "never counting your chickens before they hatch" but to lose what we did was definitely a shock.
None-the-less the team pulled together and we've put together a few good lineups for next spring. Which of course brings us to winter and winter training.
Last year the winter training was good though I think I left it open ended to a fault. I tried to make it more about the individual and ended up losing the team aspect as well as the, "this is what we're trying to accomplish." And based on that, it's no wonder that the team was left wondering what they should do.
This year is much different. This year the winter training has been broken down into three segments, each focusing on something specific, each tying into each other, and all three moving toward our first spring goal. It's also much more extensive in terms of workouts available to try and keep things a little more lively and much more detailed when it comes to recording times/splits/rates/etc. Overall I'd give my effort last year a C and this year at least a B+. It's much more stream lined, it's more linear, and I believe that it's going to be easier to follow, especially with the three distinct segments.
Come to think of it, it's a real shame my thesis wasn't this well put together.
So that brings us up to date aside from the regatta this weekend. The Portland Fall Classic. I'm looking forward to getting out a boat and just letting it run. Sickness has really taken a toll on the lineup so at this point, just getting to the finish line in one piece with everyone happy and ready for winter and then spring will be 100% success for me.
To say that this fall season has been one of the most challenging in recent memory would be a gross understatement. From illness to lack of numbers, and class conflict, it has really been quite an undertaking to get out a full eight. It certain has been the case of, "never counting your chickens before they hatch" but to lose what we did was definitely a shock.
None-the-less the team pulled together and we've put together a few good lineups for next spring. Which of course brings us to winter and winter training.
Last year the winter training was good though I think I left it open ended to a fault. I tried to make it more about the individual and ended up losing the team aspect as well as the, "this is what we're trying to accomplish." And based on that, it's no wonder that the team was left wondering what they should do.
This year is much different. This year the winter training has been broken down into three segments, each focusing on something specific, each tying into each other, and all three moving toward our first spring goal. It's also much more extensive in terms of workouts available to try and keep things a little more lively and much more detailed when it comes to recording times/splits/rates/etc. Overall I'd give my effort last year a C and this year at least a B+. It's much more stream lined, it's more linear, and I believe that it's going to be easier to follow, especially with the three distinct segments.
Come to think of it, it's a real shame my thesis wasn't this well put together.
So that brings us up to date aside from the regatta this weekend. The Portland Fall Classic. I'm looking forward to getting out a boat and just letting it run. Sickness has really taken a toll on the lineup so at this point, just getting to the finish line in one piece with everyone happy and ready for winter and then spring will be 100% success for me.

Comments