2010 Recap
Once again I've fallen far behind on this blog something that I continue to resolve to work on. Spring season went by too quickly as they usually do
All seasons have their highs and their lows and this season unfortunately seemed to have more lows than most. However there were a few bright spots and of course many lessons learned that can be carried over to the next season. I spent the first four weeks after the season ended to reflect and analyze what exactly transpired this year and have used that to begin framing next season. Summer is too long for me. I'm ready for fall to begin now.
Highs
The high point of the season was the formation of our novice 4. I had some feeling that this would be a good boat based on what I saw going into winter training but only two of the four guys who would eventually occupy this boat ended up attending winter. One had to miss most of it because of a poor showing in a relatively easy class while another opted to finish out his career on the ski team. The other two athletes made massive strides in both technique and overall fitness during winter and when the two other athletes eventually re-joined the team just before spring began, we had the beginnings of a very good novice boat.
Because of decisions made, our spring season consisted of only two 1000 meter races - another was canceled - a showing at Brentwood and then the Northwest Regional Championships.
Green Lake - The novice 4 took first in their flight and won gold. It was an odd race since there were 3 flights of novice 4's and each top three finisher got a medal but it was a good start to the season.
Scrimmage - This race turned into a survival test 3/4 of the way through the 1000 meters when the wind shifted toward shore and the water turned ugly. Still it was encouraging to watch the 4 hold with another team's 8.
Brentwood - The goal for Brentwood was to win the heat and get to the finals, and come home knowing that we could contend for first place at Regionals. The 4 won their heat, posted the fastest time of all the heats and finished 6th in the Grand Final after breaking the stroke seat 500 meters in. It was disappointing finish for them but they accomplished their goals and it made them hungry for Regionals.
Regionals - The 4 posted the fastest time of all 3 heats and went on to finish 2nd in the Grand Finals behind Everett. The guys came to shore very pleased with how they raced and despite not winning their race they had the best finish out of the entire club and posted a season best time.
Lows
The low point was how few novice we had finish out the spring season. In all 13 guys including a coxswain will be going up to the varsity team this fall and while that is more than a full 8, I was hoping to kick up two full boats to help boost numbers.
The other low is a more personal low and one that I vow to remember next season. This year we had a couple of guys on the team who were not great on the ergs. They posted decent splits and times but were easily the slowest guys in the boathouse and in fact were passed by several of the novice women. However once in the boat, they really demonstrated their ability on the water. Having had previous experience with this - Pacific Rowing Club - I'm rather sheepish in admitting that I completely forgot about this and pushed them harder than was probably fair in an effort to get more out of them on land. This is a lesson that I learned before and needed to re-learn this year. Some people simply don't show their full capabilities on the ergs, a reminder that ergs do not float.
And now, sitting here at the beginning of July I'm eagerly counting down the days till we begin fall practice. In the mean time we have summer rowing programs that are constantly reminding me of the fun that rowing can and should be.
All seasons have their highs and their lows and this season unfortunately seemed to have more lows than most. However there were a few bright spots and of course many lessons learned that can be carried over to the next season. I spent the first four weeks after the season ended to reflect and analyze what exactly transpired this year and have used that to begin framing next season. Summer is too long for me. I'm ready for fall to begin now.
Highs
The high point of the season was the formation of our novice 4. I had some feeling that this would be a good boat based on what I saw going into winter training but only two of the four guys who would eventually occupy this boat ended up attending winter. One had to miss most of it because of a poor showing in a relatively easy class while another opted to finish out his career on the ski team. The other two athletes made massive strides in both technique and overall fitness during winter and when the two other athletes eventually re-joined the team just before spring began, we had the beginnings of a very good novice boat.
Because of decisions made, our spring season consisted of only two 1000 meter races - another was canceled - a showing at Brentwood and then the Northwest Regional Championships.
Green Lake - The novice 4 took first in their flight and won gold. It was an odd race since there were 3 flights of novice 4's and each top three finisher got a medal but it was a good start to the season.
Scrimmage - This race turned into a survival test 3/4 of the way through the 1000 meters when the wind shifted toward shore and the water turned ugly. Still it was encouraging to watch the 4 hold with another team's 8.
Brentwood - The goal for Brentwood was to win the heat and get to the finals, and come home knowing that we could contend for first place at Regionals. The 4 won their heat, posted the fastest time of all the heats and finished 6th in the Grand Final after breaking the stroke seat 500 meters in. It was disappointing finish for them but they accomplished their goals and it made them hungry for Regionals.
Regionals - The 4 posted the fastest time of all 3 heats and went on to finish 2nd in the Grand Finals behind Everett. The guys came to shore very pleased with how they raced and despite not winning their race they had the best finish out of the entire club and posted a season best time.
Lows
The low point was how few novice we had finish out the spring season. In all 13 guys including a coxswain will be going up to the varsity team this fall and while that is more than a full 8, I was hoping to kick up two full boats to help boost numbers.
The other low is a more personal low and one that I vow to remember next season. This year we had a couple of guys on the team who were not great on the ergs. They posted decent splits and times but were easily the slowest guys in the boathouse and in fact were passed by several of the novice women. However once in the boat, they really demonstrated their ability on the water. Having had previous experience with this - Pacific Rowing Club - I'm rather sheepish in admitting that I completely forgot about this and pushed them harder than was probably fair in an effort to get more out of them on land. This is a lesson that I learned before and needed to re-learn this year. Some people simply don't show their full capabilities on the ergs, a reminder that ergs do not float.
And now, sitting here at the beginning of July I'm eagerly counting down the days till we begin fall practice. In the mean time we have summer rowing programs that are constantly reminding me of the fun that rowing can and should be.

Comments