Winter Training
I've fallen far behind the pack with this blog. I'd like to say that it's because coaching has taken up so much time - it has - but that would be lying. More than anything it's because I completely forgot that I was running this.
As you can imagine, a lot has happened between August and now but recapping it would take too long. The fall season was sort of a mess but we've come through okay. This is by far the smallest group of rowers I've had in terms of physical stature. The heaviest kid I've got barely tops 170 pounds while a majority of my guys are sitting around the 140 - 150 pound range. Just to show you, I put together on paper what I consider to be our fastest 8 based on winter testing results, added up the weight and then averaged it out. Thus far I believe I have the lightest light weight boat in the nation based on my 144.5 pound average. Small but tough guys. We'll see how it balances out in the spring.
I will say that this feels more like Portland State rather than Puget Sound in terms of a job. Portland State definitely felt as though coaching was a job while Puget Sound was more of an enjoyable experience. It was definitely still a job and required hard work but I think the chemistry was better where it made it more of a joy to show up every day. Ah the difference between college and high school.
As you can imagine, a lot has happened between August and now but recapping it would take too long. The fall season was sort of a mess but we've come through okay. This is by far the smallest group of rowers I've had in terms of physical stature. The heaviest kid I've got barely tops 170 pounds while a majority of my guys are sitting around the 140 - 150 pound range. Just to show you, I put together on paper what I consider to be our fastest 8 based on winter testing results, added up the weight and then averaged it out. Thus far I believe I have the lightest light weight boat in the nation based on my 144.5 pound average. Small but tough guys. We'll see how it balances out in the spring.
I will say that this feels more like Portland State rather than Puget Sound in terms of a job. Portland State definitely felt as though coaching was a job while Puget Sound was more of an enjoyable experience. It was definitely still a job and required hard work but I think the chemistry was better where it made it more of a joy to show up every day. Ah the difference between college and high school.

Comments