Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost

And to a lesser extent, Lorrie Morgan singing about going left when the world goes right. Fall practice 2004 at Pacific Rowing Club. Ted and I were motoring around in one of the launches about 100 feet from the boats, just observing when he begins to comment to me on technique. What followed was a fantastic lesson on various rowing techniques from Charlie Butt at Harvard to Wieslaw Kujda of Los Gatos junior and Santa Clara and one of the more eye opening experiences in my coaching career. Coming from Willamette and the emphasis that was stressed of not opening the back early and slight lay back, it was amazing to watch Los Gatos row by with their elongated finishes. I was convinced that the Willamette way was the way to row properly and that everyone from Puget Sound to Princeton did the same thing and to see and then hear about the differences was astonishing.

I bring this up because:
1. I'm working on developing my own style of coaching and....
2. I've come to realize that there doesn't seem to be any one way of coaching that is deemed "the golden standard."
You can have golden standard programs such as the Brown Women or the Cal Men but measures tend to be arbitrary. I digress.

From the day I walked into my coach's office senior year and announced my plans to pursue a coaching career, I've had countless tidbits of coaching experience handed to me. Some days I feel more like a walking encyclopedia. But something I've started to see, just as with the Willamette way, there isn't a set in stone way to launch a coaching career aside from the basics. Those basics being rowing experience and a desire aside, how you get to where you want to be is a path of self discovery. The one piece of advice that sticks out the most was when I was told, "If you want to coach in college, the worst way to get started is to go and coach juniors." It was solid advice from someone who has much more experience than I do but I was only two years removed from Pacific when I landed my first good college gig.

I believe the point that I've rambled on about is that when it comes to coaching, like almost anything else, there are certain guidelines that must be adhered to. You can't walk into a law office and become partner without having some substance behind it. But how you get there and the length of time it takes is almost entirely up to you. It's an adventure, not a burden. Let your own journey inspire you.

Comments

Popular Posts